We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few weeks in NZ in May

Sonora, California
Level Contributor
16 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
A few weeks in NZ in May

Our daughter has been working the wine harvest on both North & South Islands and will be finnished on May 14 at the winery in Blenheim. We then plan on meeting her in CHC and staying with cousins for a few days before heading out to see more.

Due to time of year I have decided not to go south to the glaciers, Milford and Queenstown and save that for another time. I'll put down our approximate plans and would appreciate any comments.

May 17 leave for and arrive Nelson (overland) to stay for a few days with more cousins. May 17 through 22 in Nelson'Marlborough/Blenheim.

May 22 - to Wellington for a few days

May 24 - Wellington to Gisborne (where she worked for a few months). Stay Gisborne for one or two nights.

May 27 on to Coromandel for two nights.

May 29 to Auckland for final night.

Thoughts?

Thanks much

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,313 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few weeks in NZ in May

You would need to allow two days to drive from Wellington to Gisborne, I would overnight in Napier. Take SH2 through the Wairarapa to Napier, a quieter route. Both days will be quite taxing drives, in fact all your driving days are fairly long and will need alot of concentration. Most of the roads you will be travelling on are narrow and winding as well as very hilly north of Napier(and the Coromandel)

Gisborne to the Coromandel (I'm assuming Whitianga area) will take you at least 7 hours, Mount Maunganui would be an ideal overnight stop if you want to break it up a bit. There is some fabulous scenery and beaches right along the route, you might like to take it a bit slower.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few weeks in NZ in May

Hi

You have some very long drives and Wellington to Gisborne would be too far in one day. Keep in mind that the days are now much shorter and still getting shorter.

I regularly use and recommend Google Maps for route planning. If nothing else it wil give you an idea of the driving times. The times are basic driving times and can be as much as doubled to allow for stops and sight seeing etc

3. Re: A few weeks in NZ in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2010, 06:23