We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Provisional Itinerary for South Island March

Midlands
Level Contributor
289 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Provisional Itinerary for South Island March

Provisional Itinerary for South Island March. Do you think I need to stay 2 nights anywhere or have missed out a must see. We will be flying up to Auckland afterwards but will only be visiting Rotorua and Bay of Islands because of time, but feel we need to do this in case we are never able to return. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Day 1 Christchurch

Day 2 Tekapo/Mount Cook

Day 3 Dunedin

Day 4 Queenstown

Day 5 Milford Sound then overnight Manapouri

Day 6 Overnight trip Doubtful Sound

Day 7 Wanaka

Day 8 Franz Josef

Day 9 Drive up the West Coast to Greymouth

Day 10 Return to Christchurch across Arthur's Pass

Midlands
Level Contributor
289 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Provisional Itinerary for South Island March

Hi, After doing a lot of reading on the forums i am looking at revising my itinerary, can anyone comment if they think it is better than what originally planned

Day 1 Christchurch

Day 2 Arthurs Pass to Hokitika

Day 3 Franz

Day 4 Wanaka

Day 5 Dunedin

Day 6 Dunedin

Day 7 Te Anau

Day 8 Te Anau

Day 9 Queenstown

Day 10 Mount Cook

Day 11 Christchurch.

Thanks

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Provisional Itinerary for South Island March

Hello George, I think your trip looks great and it makes good use of your limited time. The advantages of your trip are;

- you are driving west over Arthur's Pass... this is generally agreed to be the more scenic direction.

- driving from Hokitika in the morning still allows most of the day to explore Franz

- any trip which includes Wanaka is a bonus :)

- two nights in Dunedin allows a full day to explore the wonderful Otago Peninsula - btw, you have two options for driving to Dunedin... via Alexandra and Lawrence or via Ranfurly and Middlemarch.

- two nights in Te Anau allows a full day to explore Milford Sound and the wonderful Milford Road

- Queenstown to Aoraki/Mt Cook includes driving the scenic Lindis Pass

- a night at Aoraki will give you time to explore the Tasman glacier icebergs before heading off to Chch.

Happy travels :)

Midlands
Level Contributor
289 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Provisional Itinerary for South Island March

Thanks, going to stick with this itinerary now and get booking. Will look into the two routes from Dunedin, any opinions on best one. Again thanks for your help and input.

George

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Provisional Itinerary for South Island March

Via Middlemarch is my preferred route as it is more remote and stunning drive but via Roxburgh is also very scenic... and is about 40 minutes quicker.

Happy travels :)

15. Re: Provisional Itinerary for South Island March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2010, 07:31