We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Impulsive One

San Francisco...
2 posts
Save Topic
Another Impulsive One

Hi Everyone,

We too got the great deal to fly to NZ for 399. We'll be in NZ from 5/24 to 5/30, and our arrival and departure city is Auckland

The plan right now is to spend the last two days in Auckland. Other than Auckland, we're interested in exploring the central part of the north island - Rotorua, Taupo, Waitomo caves, as well as the north end - bay of islands and Cape Reinga. I realize we may not have enough time for all the activities in these areas. Personally, I feel there's more to do in the central part of the island. How many days should we spend at each part of the island? And what are the bestest activities you guys can recommend?

Oh, we're thinking of hiring a car and drive around ourselves. But we've never driven on the left-side of the road, so is it going to be a big problem?

Thanks a bunch!

Mentioned in this post
Cape Reinga
Cape Reinga
630 Reviews
Cape Reinga, New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
Rotorua
Rotorua
Rotorua District, New Zealand
Taupo
Taupo
Taupo District, New Zealand
Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another Impulsive One

Hi

It is a great deal that you folks are all in on.

If I recall from another post you will arrive very early in the morning. Getting in a car and driving for 3 hours after a long flight is not a good idea particularly if as your case you have not driven on the left before. I would seriously consider flying straight on to Rotorua so as to get the travel out of the way and be right where you want to be when you finally get off a plane. With your short time here that you would in effect avoid losing a day in Auckland. You could hire a car in Rotorua and drop it off at Auckland Airport when you leave – this may not be quite as easy as it sounds but worth looking into.

With only 6 days you really only have time to see Auckland and the Rotorua/Taupo area or Auckland and Northland but not all three areas.

Including your first day I would spend 3 of 4 days in the Rotorua/Taupo area and the remaining time in the Auckland Region. With regard to activities it really depends on your interests – in Rotorua you will find activities adventurous, activities geo thermal and activities cultural. In Auckland the best is to be found in the surrounding area but within an hour of the airport you will find stunning scenery, wineries, shopping, beaches etc. For an overview of Auckland have a look at:

www.aucklandnz.com

With regard to driving on the left you may find it useful to take a look at:

www.ltsa.govt.nz/overseasdrivers

www.ltsa.govt.nz/roadcode

Hope this helps – enjoy your visit.

Mentioned in this post
Rotorua
Rotorua
Auckland
Auckland
Taupo
Taupo
Northland Region
Northland Region
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
16,253 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another Impulsive One

Kia Ora PuMa,

The flight across the Pacific will render you tired, especially entering our time zone when we are waking up at your arrival hour, while your body craves sleep. I seriously suggest you rest up in Auckland the first night, ahead of planning to drive to Rotorua etc. Spend either 3 nights around the central plateau sights (Bay of Plenty including Rotorua-Taupo, then visit to caves), with the final night back in the Queen city, Auckland. Or 3 nights heading north to Bay of Islands, and the Cape Reinga day tour.

Unfortunately there is no way you are going to be able to do both Rotorua area, and the BOI area in 3 days. Our country rounds are narrow and windy, and our geography takes a considerable time to neogotiate your way around in the given timeframe. Enjoy NZ scenery at a relaxed pace. Please avoid becoming yet another road statistic; goodness knows we have even farewelled tourists in this manner this past summer. Very upsetting for loved ones and locals alike. If you spend all 3 days frantically drving from A to B I doubt your would see any scenery beyond the vehicle ahead.! Choose either Bay of Plenty sights, OR Bay of Islands & Far North sights for your flying visit.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Reinga
Cape Reinga
630 Reviews
Cape Reinga, New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
Rotorua
Rotorua
Bay of Plenty Region
Bay of Plenty Region
Taupo
Taupo
Bay of Islands
Bay of Islands
Northland Region, New Zealand
San Francisco...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Another Impulsive One

Thank you lonekaurilodge and Frangipani08 for your expert opinion. I am not sure having a road tour is such a good idea now. :)

I will be staying in NZ for 7 days and 6 nights. I really don't feel like staying in Auckland for the first day because we will eventually return there for our departure. I found flights and coaches that can take us from the airport to Rotorua. They both arrive around noon that day. I do see how it'll be more enjoyable for us to take a coach to Rotorua instead of driving there on the first day. But do you think it'd be good to get a car once we are in Rotorua? I see there're many activities around that area and I think it'd be good for us to have the flexibility to go on our own schdule instead of going with a bus or tourbus. If I spend the first 5 days in this area, is it possible to include a hike of some sort ;)?

I will reconsider the bay of islands part of the trip. May not be able to make it there this time.

Thanks again for your advice.

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
Rotorua
Rotorua
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another Impulsive One

Hi PuMa,

due to jet lag you will be a danger to yourself and others if you drive on the first day. By all means fly or take the bus to Rotorua on your first day but please rest up after arrival there.

Cheers.

Mentioned in this post
Rotorua
Rotorua
Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another Impulsive One

Hi again

I would definitely hire a car whilst in Rotorua. Most of Rotorua's attractions are well beyond walking distance.

For an overview of Rotorua have a look at:

www.rotoruanz.com

and just up the road Taupo

www.laketauponz.com

Mentioned in this post
Rotorua
Rotorua
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
16,253 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another Impulsive One

I agree with lone kauri, once you reach Rotorua hire a vehicle there. If you can secure domestic flights from Auckland airport to Rotorua city soon after arrival into Auckland play it by ear as to how tired you are after a long haul flight first , followed by internal flight. I still highly recommend that you arrive Auckland and then take the Airbus or a shuttle into city to take some exercise on your first day to settle in and switch your body clock over to Kiwitime. The luxury coach tours depart Auckland early morn from the city, not the airport. Unless you are planning to take one of the bus services like Kiwi Experience, Magic Bus, Naked Bus etc in which case one of these does have an airport pickup, but cant recall at this hour of night which one.

Mentioned in this post
Kiwi International Hotel
Kiwi International Hotel
747 Reviews
Auckland Central, New Zealand
Rotorua
Rotorua
Auckland
Auckland
7. Re: Another Impulsive One

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2010, 05:37