We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary - please tell me if this is feasible...

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary - please tell me if this is feasible...

Hi everyone,

We are travelling to beautiful NZ later on in the year, so far our itinerary is as follows.

26/12/2010 to 02/01/2011 we stay with family in Auckland, family has a bach up in Matapouri so we will visit the northlands as well. Hope to snorkel off poor knights, swim and generally relax.

02/01/2011 fly to Wellington midday, collect hire car. Stay Wellington and hope to see some of it pm.

3rd Jan 2011 Mo – morning Ferry to Picton, stay night in Motueka - Abel Tasman, (see local sights evening and early am)

4th Jan 2011 Tu – Drive to Franz Josef via Punakaiki

5th Jan 2011 Weds – Franz Josef (Glacier trip)

6th Jan 2011 Thu – Franz Josef to Queenstown (See Queenstown in evening, gondola?)

7th Jan 2011 Fri – Queenstown to Te Anau (Queenstown in am then glowworm caves pm)

8th Jan 2011 Sa – accomodation in Te Anau visit Milford Sound, thinking flight & cruise.

9th Jan 2011 Su – Te Anau to Lake Pukaki (stop off point en route to Akaroa)

10th Jan 2011 Mo – Pukaki to Akaroa (see Akaroa pm)

11th Jan 2011 Tu – Akaroa to Kaikoura (swim with dolphins in Akaroa am)

12th Jan 2011 Weds – Kaikoura to Picton (whale watch am in Kaikoura, evening ferry across then stay in Wellington?)

13th Jan 2011 Thu – Wellington to Taupo (visit around lake Taupo, pm)

14th Jan 2011 Fri – Taupo to Rotorua (see Lake Taupo am)

15th Jan 2011 Sa –Rotorua to Mt Maunganui (see mudpools etc in Rotorua then drive to beach in evening)

16th Jan 2011 Su – Beach at Maunganui area

17th Jan 2011 Mo – Beach again, head to Auckland in evening

18th Jan 2011 Tu – Auckland – stay with family

19th Jan 2011 Weds – see family

20th Jan 2011 Thurs – Fly home 13:10

We aren't massive fans of cities so have no need to visit Christchurch etc, we also prefer scenery etc and wildlife to dusty museums.

Looking at the driving we have a couple of long drives but we don't mind that too much. We want to see as much as we ca in the time we have possible. Our SI itinerary is packed whereas we have hopefully managed to add in restful days in NI when we stay with family.

Any suggestions gratefully appreciated.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary - please tell me if this is feasible...

Hi

The north island part of your trip looks fine and relaxing to me. No doubt others will comment on the south island part.

For an overview of Taupo have a look at:

www.laketauponz.com

and for Rotorua

www.rotoruanz.com

I always recommend the Jolly Goodfellows in Taupo. It has a good selection of English beers just in case anyone develops a thirst for same. It also has a reasonably priced restaurant.

Wellington
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary - please tell me if this is feasible...

Hi - South Island looks a bit too busy. Akaroa is nice but I think it will be too rushed trying to do it on route to Kaikoura. I suggest you also fly from Auckland to Nelson, rather than stop in Wellington - it will save you time and then maybe you can have two nights in Wellington on the way back - and of course I can suggest some great accommodation in Wellington!

3. Re: Itinerary - please tell me if this is feasible...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 May 2010, 22:35
hampshire uk
Level Contributor
196 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary - please tell me if this is feasible...

Hi! I know you said your not a fan of museums but we were in Wellington last May and went to the Te Papa Museum in Wellington. Its completely free and Im not a fan of museums but its great, modern and fantastically laid out.Even if you dont look over all of it, it has so much to see about New Zealand , the wildlife, history , Maori and even an 'earthquake' house! So glad we went we did it when it poured with rain!! Have a great trip!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary - please tell me if this is feasible...

sorry to be blunt, but no, the South island portion of this trip is neither feasible nor safe. You have extremely long drives planned on roads which require the driver's full, undivided attention. Too many visitors have accidents due to driver fatigue. Please reconsider.

For your itinerary to work, you would need

1 morning Ferry to Picton - Abel Tasman - another day needed to explore

2 drive to Punakaiki

3 drive to Franz

4 explore

5 drive to Wanaka - another day needed here to explore

6 drive to Te Anau

7 explore Milford

8 drive to Queenstown - another day needed here to explore

9 drive to Tekapo (Pukaki is a lake, there is no town) - another day needed

10 drive to Akaroa - another day needed here to explore

11 drive to Kaikoura

12 drive to Picton, ferry to Wellington

best of luck :)

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary - please tell me if this is feasible...

You have way too much driving in your itinerary, Can I suggest you do the day trip from Queenstown to Milford Sound, Coach in do the cruise and fly back to Queenstown from Milford Sound. You will miss the glowworm caves but there are many other places to see glowworms around NZ.

If you do the day trip to Milford Sound from Queenstown it will give you a break from driving as well as buy you some extra time to explore other parts of the country.

Flying back to Te Anau from Milford Sound can be difficult unless you are travelling in a group of four or more, and it can be expensive if you have to pay for the hire of the entire plane. Most of the air traffic out of Milford Sound goes back to Queenstown.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary - please tell me if this is feasible...

Thanks for all the replies, nothing is set in stone so a lot of tweaks will be made.

Need to spend several hours re planning!

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary - please tell me if this is feasible...

OK we have majorly tweaked the SI part of the trip now and have decided to go on the interislander as foot passengars, collect a car in Picton to leave at Queenstown then fly Queenstown to Auckland.

So new itinerary is

1. Picton

2. Kaikoura

3. Akaroa

4. Arthurs pass

5. Franz Josef

6. Franz Josef

7. Wanaka

8. Queenstown

9. Queenstown

10. Queenstown fly to Auckland in evening then stay with family.

Then collect car in Auckland and head down to Taupo etc for the last week or so.

I am much happier with that and will do a coach/cruise to Milford Sound from Queenstown, andtotal trip only costs $200 NZD more than our original plan, which we will actually save anyway without the fuel costs.

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary - please tell me if this is feasible...

Your itinerary looks great, try and detour to Punakaiki if you can, its a nice part of the west coast and a very scenic drive.

10. Re: Itinerary - please tell me if this is feasible...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2010, 05:16