We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GPS question

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
GPS question

This may be a silly question, but will the car plug for my North American GPS unit work in New Zealand cars? Meaning, are all car sockets the same around the world?

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GPS question

Newzealand cars has a standard lighter plug

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
3,555 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GPS question

I've always thought they were standard around the world; however one of my chargers has a sleeve which slips over the 20mm post and takes it up to 25mm (1 inch), so perhaps somewhere the 25mm post is more common. NZ cars have a lighter socket with a 20mm hole, and a center positive contact.

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GPS question

Great, sounds like it won't be a problem. I didn't want to end up paying $10 per day for a gps rental.

4. Re: GPS question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2010, 06:17