We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air New Zealand

N Ireland
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
Air New Zealand

Hi there, coming back to NZ next year and flying Air NZ to Auckland via Hong Kong. I haven't flown in their 777 before only in their 747 and 767 and was just wondering where would be the best place to sit in economy.

I've already been allocated seats in the early 40's rows. On some web sites it mentions that there is slightly more leg room in the 1st half of economy rather than the 2nd half and I was just wondering if this is correct? I will be connecting to an internal flight so maybe I'd be better as close to the front so I can get through immigration and customs quicker!!

If anybody has any feedback for me I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,330 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air New Zealand

See seatguru.com/airlines/Air_New_Zealand/Air_Ne…

If there are two of you travelling, consider sitting in the middle aisle. The 777 has a 3-3-3 configuration, so you won't bother others and they won't bother you when someone needs to get up. The 777 is a nice aircraft - I much prefer it to the 747.

How much time do you have to connect to your domestic flight? If the domestic flight is also AirNZ, they will move you to a later flight if your international flight is delayed. Customs and quarantine are usually very quick, but things can go slow if you don't have a NZ/Australian passport and there's a dodgy person in the queue in front of you.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,586 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air New Zealand

I think you will find it's only on the internal 737 flights where there is a bit more leg room at the front and given that few internal flights are over an hour it makes little difference.

The 777 they use from Hong Kong are really very nice, much better than the 747. I would also go for the centre aisle. It's dark and you are over water so there is nothing to see.

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air New Zealand

Not sure about the 777, but the first 7 rows on the 767 have increased seat pitch. Not sure how much, but it makes a huge difference to comfort on a long flight.

Unfortunately these are only able to be pre booked by Koru Club members. When you log in to the seat allocation site using your Koru Club member's number, these seats become available, otherwise they will show as being unavailable.

I guess if they are not sold by check in time they will be allocated to anyone.

The seats immediately aft of the exits have lots of leg room, but these are usually snapped up first.

N Ireland
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Air New Zealand

Thanks for all your replies.

Glad to hear that the 777 is a good plane to fly on. I think I'll stick with the seats I've been allocated with near the front of economy. I've got about 2 hours between flights so I'm hoping that I'll get through immigration and customs as quickly as I did the last time.

5. Re: Air New Zealand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2010, 06:17