We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Earthquake - 7.4 Canterbury Region

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,627 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Earthquake - 7.4 Canterbury Region

Just heard this had hit. stuff.co.nz/national/4094986/Massive-7-4-qua…

Best wishes for everyone there.

Fremont, CA
Level Contributor
441 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: Earthquake - 7.4 Canterbury Region

Adding our prayers & thoughts to all affected...New Zealand is one of our favorite travel destinations and we fervently hope that all the wonderful Kiwis we met are unscathed. The damage I've seen is horrendous and equal to the '89 quake in San Francisco which we experienced.

The webcam was down, last time I checked.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
548 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: Earthquake - 7.4 Canterbury Region

Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Looking forward to visiting your beautiful country in November.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,431 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: Earthquake - 7.4 Canterbury Region

"Doesn't look too bad as far as I can see...."

Feargal, looks are very deceiving, while it may look all OK, it's far from it. There is some terrible damage both in the CBD and in the suburbs and surrounding countryside. Homes have been left standing but with gaping cracks snaking through concrete floors, tiled floors have been split open, huge sinkholes have appeared right across the province. This is where the subsoil has liquefied, it's like quicksand, outdoor furniture and kids bikes etc have been swallowed up. Sewage is mixing with a lot of this mud.

Water pipes and sewage pipes have been ruptured. A lot of roads have been ripped apart, some dropping 1-2 meters, houses have been shoved sideways by 2-3 meters, house walls have cracked open, interior furnishings have been upturned and thrown about. glass panes have popped out and smashed, chimneys have collapsed. Four or five very large and very historic and beautiful homesteads have been severely damaged. Whole shop frontages have collapsed, beautiful historic facades and verandas have collapsed, one quite new 9 story hotel in the CBD has been red sticker-ed; no access in the foreseeable future, other hotels report major damage in their interiors.

One restaurant & bar located on the "restaurant & bar strip" totally collapsed. Four hours prior it was heaving with over 200 people. It really has been a miracle that no one was killed. Looks can be deceiving but believe me this was an extraordinary event and there is alot of pain going on in Canterbury at the moment., seen and unseen. There have been over 90 aftershocks measuring 3 to 5 .8 magnitude, the usual size of NZ's quakes. Building collapses, bricks and mortar falling and cracks continue to appear with each one of these. People are terrified and can't sleep, children(and adults) are severely traumatized.

Thankfully NZ has very a very strict building code, This earthquake can be compared with the Haiti one earlier this year, theirs was a 7 magnitude , Christchurch's 7.1. The main difference is that NZ has a lot of experience with earthquakes and enforces it's building codes, Haiti has virtually non-existent building standards. The Haiti quake occurred along a fault line that was previously undetected. Similarly, Canterbury's quake was also a complete surprise and appears to have occurred on an unknown fault. Both quakes involved strike-slip faults meaning the shaking was side to side. Both were shallow, usually a bad sign of a damaging quake (13km deep for Haiti, 10km for Canterbury), and each was centred 40km from a big city. Another major reason why the casualties were so great in Haiti, and so few in New Zealand, had to do with the time of day. Haiti's big quake was at 4:53 pm, when a lot of people were moving round the city, but Canterbury's was at 4:36 a.m., when most people were home in bed; the best place to be in a quake. Sadly 230,000 people died in Haiti, thankfully none in NZ.

The effects of this quake will be felt for years, the rebuilding will go on for years. One silver lining is the amount of work that will be needed to repair the city.

There was one record that was broken in the 24hrs after the quake; ChCh Hospital delivered a record number of babies, the most in a 24hr period since records began. Is it no wonder?

Edited: 06 September 2010, 09:21
UK
Level Contributor
152 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: Earthquake - 7.4 Canterbury Region

Visited NZ earlier this year and stayed in Christchurch twice on our trip - particularly enjoyed a lovely meal on our last evening before returning to the UK. Strolled along the River Avon - saw on the news some pictures of streets we walked on - Manchester Street struck me with the sign pointing skywards - how terrrible our thoughts are with the lovely people of this City and surrounding area

New Zealand
Level Contributor
85 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: Earthquake - 7.4 Canterbury Region

I am in christchurch yet another sleepless night. Overnight there have been two 5.4 aftershocks one 5.2 aftershock and numerous other smaller quakes.

I just wanted to say thankyou to everyone who posted. My nerves are shot and I have found this thread very comforting to read.

Thanks all :)

Fremont, CA
Level Contributor
441 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: Earthquake - 7.4 Canterbury Region

Thank you for the updates & humanizing the news reports. Is internet service still down in parts of the city? We have not heard from the lovely couple who hosted us on our last visit. They are not great correspondents in good times, but we hesitate to call.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
57. Re: Earthquake - 7.4 Canterbury Region

We just came back from our north island trip about 10 days ago. It was a wonderful trip and everybody in the family loved it. We are planning to visit south island in the future. So sorry to hear the earthquake. Hope everybody is Ok and we are sending our best wishes to the people on south island.

stay safe!

azs

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,097 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
58. Re: Earthquake - 7.4 Canterbury Region

The maori saying I quoted, I sourced from the NZ memorial in Anzac Parade Canberra. The memorial was a gift to Australia from NZ and is in the shape of two beautiful bronze flax basket handles, one on either side of the ceremonial parade in a prominent position. The English translation of the saying is "each of us at a handle of the basket." Now there's some heavy lifting to be done.

I was very pleased to see in the news here that our Prime Minister has offered NZ any assistance we can give.

... on the tourism front.. when we visited Napier earlier this year we took a fascinating tour that told us a great deal about the dreadful earthquake that levelled their city. What was surprising about it was the opportunities the earthquake had presented. Once the emergency response is handled, there is no doubt that there will be some opportunities here too. It's hard now and will be hard for a while yet. But I have absolutely no doubt you'll come through this better and stronger than ever!

hampshire uk
Level Contributor
216 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: Earthquake - 7.4 Canterbury Region

Zappers-that was a touching report of the damage suffered in Chch, certainly makes you think. Like may others who are due to visit , or have visited your wonderful country, reading TA and the New Zealand Herald online has kept us informed of this dreadful earthquake. Best wishes to all out there, as a previous post said, quite one thing to be a tourist but those who live there may take years to recover.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
345 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: Earthquake - 7.4 Canterbury Region

It was with great sadness that we heard of the quake in Christchurch. We can’t even begin to imagine what it must be like for people. Hopefully the worst is now over. It’s very sad to look at the destruction it has caused and it’s a miracle that there was no loss of life. It’s exactly 2 years since we visited NZ and spent 4 great days in Christchurch while we were there. Keep Safe.