We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Earthquake - 7.4 Canterbury Region

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
15,475 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Earthquake - 7.4 Canterbury Region

Just heard this had hit. stuff.co.nz/national/4094986/Massive-7-4-qua…

Best wishes for everyone there.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
15,475 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
61. Re: Earthquake - 7.4 Canterbury Region

Not trying to be insensitive, but for those of you interested in more background about the Darfield quake - a faultline that hadn't been active for 'at least 16,000 years':

geonet.org.nz/news/article-sep-4-2010-christ…

gns.cri.nz/Home/…16000-years

If you wish to receive updates from GeoNet (the NZ geological service) - sign up here:

geonet.org.nz/resources/…index.html

It was through receiving these e-mail alerts I got the news about one hour after the quake happened. My in-box has been flooded with notifications about aftershocks since Friday so I really feel for those affected.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,895 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
62. Re: Earthquake - 7.4 Canterbury Region

I have visted Christchurch every day from the day of the earthquake. things are slowly geting back to normal with cordons being moved closer in to the most dangerous areas.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26176760@N08/sets/72157624774078845/

I have up loaded some pictures, i havent even titled them all yet, but the CBD looks spooky with no one anywhere, and buildings in a disarray.

It isnt easy for many business who have lost a significant part of their bussines

Christchurch is not 'closed', many parts of the city is trading as normal, maybe if you are visiting NZ, then see the rest of NZ first, and then include christchurch in you final days.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
93 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
63. Re: Earthquake - 7.4 Canterbury Region

Hi All

So sorry to hear about the earthquake and our thoughts are with everyone affected and hope everything is going OK, you seem to be getting back to normality really well. Our best wishes to every one and looking forward to our visit to NZ later this year

All the best

Pat & Pete

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,196 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
64. Re: Earthquake - 7.4 Canterbury Region

I guess it would be fair to say that the locals in the greater CHCH area are on a knife edge. Many more after shocks overnight and some over 5 on the Richter scale. One can feel the tension in the voices of those being interviewed. Some have been on the go for most of the time since Saturday morning. The Govt has just arranged for a large number of counsellors to go to the area because once it settles down they are going to be needed.

The ongoning tragic issue is that after each major aftershock all the buildings not already condemed have to be reinspected to see if they are still safe and with each day more and more building are condemned. It is now becoming apparnet that there may be areas of CHCH that will never again be habitable such is the damage to the ground. I heard an interview this morning by a Civil Defence leader who said that everyone is rallying around and spirits are remarkably high consider the trauma the locals are facing.

Its going to take awhile for this matter to resolve

Christchurch
Level Contributor
652 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
65. Re: Earthquake - 7.4 Canterbury Region

Hi All

From the Quake zone - but things are improving - the CBD is to be opened tomorrow at 5am (all going well).

I am amazed (and humbled) by the wonderful work the councils are doing - they are getting things back to normal very quickly. Water is now safe to drink in Selwyn and CHCH though Waimak still need to boil things. Most have power, though there are still a fair number without water and sewage.

While people have lost homes or are waiting to find out about their homes CHCH people have pulled together. I am impressed with the Uni students who got together through facebook to set up work gangs to help.

Thank you everyone for all your kind comments - I am sure I am not the only one in Canterbury who has been reading them and have been comforted by your comments.

regards

Kiwi

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
66. Re: Earthquake - 7.4 Canterbury Region

This site, developd by Paul Nicholls of Canterbury University, plays out the quake timelines and gives a good idea of what the people of Canterbury are going through. The size of the circles relate to the intensity of the shocks. It's no wonder that their nerves are on edge.

www.christchurchquakemap.co.nz/

Cheers.

Edited: 09 September 2010, 06:08
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
17,004 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
67. Re: Earthquake - 7.4 Canterbury Region

Thank you for the updates and the links. That map certainly gives a vivid idea. The people of the Canterbury region remain in my prayers.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,640 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
68. Re: Earthquake - 7.4 Canterbury Region

What a difference a week makes. I am just back from my first foray into the CBD in a week. Today is 18, a beautiful spring day. The Boatshed is bulging with people out jogging and walking their dogs. (20 minute wait for a coffee) Punts are gliding up the river between the Rhodos and Magnolia. (no one in canoes but they are available) In the Dafodil lawn by the hospital people are trying to get those spring shots of baby/puppy/granny sitting in the flowers. 250 eters down the road fences cordon off the Arts Centre as they are still checking it out. We stopped at a shop where a group where agroup were sampling wedding cake. 2 blocks away soldiers (unarmed) are at a barricade stoping travel down Riccarton Road where some older shops opposite Westfield Mall have collapsed.

In other places a well oiled machine is wirring away, buildings are being carted to land fill and diggers are scooping up the liquified soil for carting away.

Jokes are starting. It seems all schools are reporting an increase in children from broken homes. A paddock near Darfield has a sign in the grass large enough to see from the air that says "No fault here...yeah right!"

The aftershocks are further apart and we don't notice them quite the same.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,117 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
69. Re: Earthquake - 7.4 Canterbury Region

It seems all schools are reporting an increase in children from broken homes. A paddock near Darfield has a sign in the grass large enough to see from the air that says "No fault here...yeah right!"

Kiwis love a joke, but boy, as jokes go I don't think you love anything more than you love puns LOL

hahaha I knew it wouldn't be long... keep em coming :o)

Edited: 11 September 2010, 04:38
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,640 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
70. Re: Earthquake - 7.4 Canterbury Region

Ozzies would know!! I picked up a rental from Brisbane airport the other day. (wish it had been a week later!1) I reckon there were 4 in a row with the lady at the Avis desk. Straight face with every one!

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia