We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any comments on Good Clean Fun NZ camping trip

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
456 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Any comments on Good Clean Fun NZ camping trip

Hi,

We just won a free camping holiday for two with Good Clean Fun NZ (goodcleanfunNZ.com). Has anyone participated in any camping trips with them before? Care to share your experiences?

We just want to find out more before we purchase our air tickets

Thanks!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,251 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any comments on Good Clean Fun NZ camping trip

Congratulatuions on your win DawnGel! What are you waiting for? Get those tickets booked! :)

I doubt that you'll find anybody posting about their experiences as it's a fairly small company and by the looks relatively new. Their website reads really well and they have some excellent tours. My only concern for you is if you are not familiar with camping and all that goes with it- no 5* hotel luxuries out in the bush. But if you are open to new travel experiences and have an open mind then I say go with it and enjoy every moment (how many nights is the tour?) Have they given you an itinerary?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
456 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Any comments on Good Clean Fun NZ camping trip

Hey Zappers,

Thanks for your reply..

You got me excited about it all over again..hee

It's definitely a new experience for us.:)

Yeah, they have given me the itinerary. Pretty neat stuff I would say...:)

We are still contemplating if we should take a 5 days or 7 days tour.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,836 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any comments on Good Clean Fun NZ camping trip

If you are given the option, the longer time you have in NZ the less rushed you tend to be. There is more than enough to fill in your time anywhere in NZ.

Camping in camping grounds means using ablution facilities which are a short walk away, cooking and eating in the open, or in a sghared shelter which offers full cooking facilities.

You should be provide with all your cooking equipment but you will most probably need to buy all your food. Keep it simple.

It is a NZ tradition, but becomming a lost art as many of the coastal land that was taken up by camping grounds has been developed into residential subdivisions.

Have an awesome experience

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
456 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Any comments on Good Clean Fun NZ camping trip

We are thinking of 5 days camping so that we can set aside abt 2 days for Auckland.

Being our first trip to New Zealand, we thought we should spend sometime in Auckland, one of the biggest city in New Zealand.

In your opinion, would we have a better experience if we take up the 7days tour and spend more time in the wild and nature, and spend probably just 1 day in Auckland?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,251 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any comments on Good Clean Fun NZ camping trip

Coaster, I'm assuming the camping tour is guided so everything will be supplied. I would go with 7 days camping, you'll get to see more of the countryside but if you are city people then a couple of days in Auckland might be OK. Are you able to post the two suggested itineraries- just a list of places you'll be going.

PS- it won't be too "wild & nature", they'll have you visiting tourist places and seeing more of NZ culture.

Edited: 02 October 2010, 19:26
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
456 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Any comments on Good Clean Fun NZ camping trip

Hey Zappers,

Here r the itinerary. If it's a 5-days, day 4&5 will be taken out.

According to them, all will be supplied except probably sleeping bags.

Day 1 - 

We will pick you up from the airport (try and arrive as early as possible so we can fit more in!) 

Drive through farmland to visit a gorge with a short forest walk including swing bridges and tunnels. (1 hour 50 drive from airport)

Continue driving to Tauranga / Mt Maunganui, a beach city. (1 hour 15 drive from the gorge.)

After a bit of free time exploring the area, drive a little further to a campsite right on the beach. (20 minutes drive from the city.)

Accommodation type: Camping in a holiday park at the beach with full facilities. 

Total driving time today: 3 hours 25 minutes

Day 2 - 

Drive to the North Island's main tourist city, Rotorua and set up camp at a very unique place - it has thermally heated tent sites so you can feel the volcanic heat under you as you sleep! (Only 1 hour 10 drive from the beach camp site.)

We will then show you some of the unique volcanic attractions such as steaming lakes and bubbling mud. We will also take you to see a Maori community area in the town where you will see some of their stunning buildings and carvings. You will then have free time to explore more of Rotorua city, and if you wish, to partake in any other paid tourist activities at your own cost.

Dinner tonight will be a unique one as well - traditional Maori food cooked in volcanic thermal steam!

Accommodation type: Camping in a holiday park by the lake with full facilities, including thermally heated tent sites and thermal hot pools for soaking.

Total driving time today: 1 hour 10 minutes to accommodation. Town centre is only a few km away from here. (Walking distance or a quick drive.)

Day 3 - 

Drive through pine forest to Lake Taupo, stopping to see more bubbling mud and a powerful waterfall on the way. (1 hour 10 drive away)

Lake Taupo is roughly the same size as Singapore - interesting when you consider that our populations are of a similar size! 

Unique camping again tonight - we're going to 'rough it!' Camp at the edge of a beautiful river, which will also serve as our shower! But if you prefer hot water, no problem - we'll take you to a natural hot spring where we you can soak the day away!

Accommodation type: Camping in nature - Basic toilets. River water. (Very safe, don't worry.)

Total driving time today: 1 hour 20 minutes to Taupo. Accommodation 10 minutes from city.

Day 4

Follow Lake Taupo south as we drive to Tongariro National Park, where we will camp the next two nights at a holiday park with full facilities. Stop along the way to hunt for pumice at the lake's edge, as well as to see some more thermal activity.

Accommodation type: Camping in a holiday park with full facilities

Total Driving time today: 1 hour 25

Day 5

The Park has a number of fantastic short walks, as well as a world class alpine long walk (google Tongariro Crossing). If the weather is excellent, you may try it.

If the weather is not suitable, (the crossing is dangerous in high winds, especially,) or you prefer not to do it, we will take you on a number of other short walks in the area.

Accommodation type: Camping in the same holiday park with full facilities as last night

Total Driving time today: no more than an hour, depending on walks we go on.

Day 6 - 

After some free time exploring the Taupo town centre, right by the lake's edge, we will explore another volcanic area near Taupo before heading through rolling farmland to our next destination, camping at a lake's edge on the outskirts of Mangakino, a small farming town.

This is an idyllic spot - if you look at our videos on our website, some finish off with people jumping off a jetty into a lake - that's this place. A great place to relax and unwind.

Accommodation type: Camping in nature with flush toilets and tap water. No showers but a refreshing lake on your doorstep!

Total driving time today: 50 minutes

Day 7 - Back to Auckland through more farmland and small towns. In Auckland we can drop you off at your chosen accommodation in the afternoon. Have fun exploring the big city!

Total driving time today: 3 hours 20 minutes

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,251 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any comments on Good Clean Fun NZ camping trip

Well it really must come back to what you want to do in the end and what you're comfortable wiith. The Tongariro National Park(Day4&5) is very beautiful, there are many walks, beautiful native bush, gushing streams and waterfalls, this area is known as the Central Plateau and the three mountains take centre stage(2 are active volcanoes, this is also where Mt Doom is located if you are a Lord of the Rings fan. I'm not sure when you are thinking of doing the trip but I assume that is will be in the summer otherwise it might be a bit cold camping near the mountains. There will possibly still be snow within reach of the chairlifts if it's earlier rather than later in summer. Up to you to decide if it's the bush or the city you want to see. Otherwise the itinerary is great and not too much of a hardship. You'll see a good slice of NZ scenery, Maori culture and Kiwi life.

When you visit the tunnel they mention on Day1 make sure you have a torch with you and I assume you guides will know about the glow worms that live on the ceiling mid tunnel(where it's darkest- turn the torches off and watch them light up)

Here's the website for the Karangahake Gorge where the tunnel is-

tour.thepeninsula.co.nz/karangahake.htm

You'll have a great trip no matter what you decide.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
456 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Any comments on Good Clean Fun NZ camping trip

Thanks Zappers and Coasters for the help and recommendations.

I have bought my tix..looking forward to the trip :)

Will update again when I am back :)

9. Re: Any comments on Good Clean Fun NZ camping trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2011, 05:16