We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Auckland to Christchurch

Jersey, Channel...
Destination Expert
for Jersey, St Helier
Level Contributor
1,028 posts
664 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from Auckland to Christchurch

We are arriving in Auckland in January and are taking 12 days to travel down to Christchurch for our flight back to the UK via Sydney. We want to really get a flavour of North and South Island, can anyone suggest the best route to pack in as much as possible. We were thinking of a motorhome but I am now considering a car and hotels on route. Any help anyone can give for our itinerary would be great.

Thanks,

Bob

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,089 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Auckland to Christchurch

12 days is not a lot of time for both islands. In addition campervans are slower - and a lot more expensive in January as it is peak season. You will need to book most accommodation, and especially rental vehicles ASAP. Only a few companies allow cars to be taken on the ferry. You might want to consider flying one leg eg from Auckland or Rotorua to Queenstown. Without knowing what your interests are, I'd suggest 3-4 days AKL-Rotorua/Taupo; flight to Queenstown; pick up car 3-4 nights in QTN area (including Milford Sound). Day 8 drive to Wanaka; Day 9 to Franz Josef Glacier; Day 10 or 11 to Chch; Day 12 fly home.

Mif
Level Contributor
61 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Auckland to Christchurch

I agree with zhuhai2007 that 12 days is not long when exploring New Zealand. We had 7 weeks in Feb/March and it was still not long enough! We spent half our trip (NI) with a hire car and B&B/ self-catering and the other half (SI) in a motorhome.

One real highlight of our trip was taking the TranzCoastal train from Picton to Christchurch - considered one of the world's most scenic train journeys. You can book through from Wellington and have a ticket that includes the Milford Sound ferry crossing. It was lovely being able to relax and enjoy the stunning scenery and not to have to worry about driving. (We had dumped the hire car in Wellington and were due to pick up the motorhome after 2 days in Christchurch).

The train has an open-air viewing carriage and when we did it the train driver gave a very interesting commentary. Look at www.tranzscenic.co.nz. Luggage can be checked right through from Wellington to Chch.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,089 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Auckland to Christchurch

Whoops, MIF: The ferry from Wellington is a loooong way from Milford Sound - instead it traverses the scenic Queen Charlotte Sound.

Mif
Level Contributor
61 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Auckland to Christchurch

Ooops - silly me! I meant to say the Cook Strait ferry crossing.

5. Re: Travel from Auckland to Christchurch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2011, 07:49