We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NZ Mobile Phone Coverage (iPhone)

Newcastle-under-Lyme...
Level Contributor
168 posts
203 reviews
Save Topic
NZ Mobile Phone Coverage (iPhone)

Hi,

I'm bringing my unlocked iPhone4 to NZ and will need to get a prepaid micro SIM - can anyone recommend a provider?

Telstra have been great for me in Oz - hoping that 3G coverage is as good there!

Simon

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,330 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NZ Mobile Phone Coverage (iPhone)

If you want 3G coverage outside of the cites, Telecom's XT network seems to be the one that's recommended.

See www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp… for a discussion.

The XT network is new, and had some teething problems a few months ago. All seems to be sorted though.

Newcastle-under-Lyme...
Level Contributor
168 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NZ Mobile Phone Coverage (iPhone)

Cheers - Telecom does indeed look like it will do the job nicely - will get myself to a Telecom shop when I land in Christchurch.

Thanks for the info!

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,862 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NZ Mobile Phone Coverage (iPhone)

When traveling around nz, there are many places with coverage,

Coveage is generally in towns. And surrounding areas, but remote areas, there is no coverage.

Areas where there are large tracts of land with no service. Is porters pass to arthur's pass then arthur's pass to kumara junction.

Much of the west coast such as greymouth to west port, south of franz Joseph glacier, Nelson to ref ton except murchison.

There are many more places with no coverage, if you have a power hungry unit. Which is constantly searching for coverage, best idea is turn it off while traveling through these remote places.

It is illegal to use a hand held cell phone whilst driving, so either stop, or have a blue tooth unit.

4. Re: NZ Mobile Phone Coverage (iPhone)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2011, 06:46