We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

maori all over the places!

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
maori all over the places!

can anyone tell me which maori cultural performance at which town is worth watching and reasonably priced?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
30,889 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: maori all over the places!

They tend to be more "authentic" in Rotorua. Basically they are put on for tourists and most tourists have a low tolerance of lengthy authentic culture. Maatariki is quite short & relatively cheap (at the Novotel downtown) so that is where my groups go, but I've heard really good things about Mitai & Te Puia. Some people enjoy Tamaki - it is a longer experience, including a bus ride out of town. I haven't heard whether their Chch one is recommended also.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: maori all over the places!

Thanks Zhuhai. It helps a lot.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,046 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: maori all over the places!

Willowbank in Christchurch put on quite a reasonable show. The tamaki show is more theatricial. However if i was to go to just one, I would go with Rotorua.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: maori all over the places!

Thanks a zillion Mike. The picture getting better now. Since we are at it, I'll be spending 3 nites each in Queenstown and Chch and 2 nites in Rotorua. A bit tight... any suggestions on "must do" activities at those places. Milford cruise is already in our schedule (1 nite at Te Anau).

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: maori all over the places!

Hi

If you are in Auckland then a good option would be the cultural concert at the Auckland War Memorial Museum

www.aucklandmuseum.com.

If is very good and not expensive.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: maori all over the places!

Hi Lone. We'll be in Auckland for total of 5 nites, 3 nites at beginning of our journey and 2 nites at the end. Will definitely check out ur suggestion. Hope there will be more information coming in. Trying very best to see best of NZ within a budget. Currency exchange between NZ and Malaysia is too wide and it is straining our budget. Again, thank you guys.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
964 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: maori all over the places!

Another nod for the performance at the Auckland museum. I can't remember if there's a similar cultural/educational show at Te Papa.

There are maraes you can visit around NZ, many for a donation and with a prior phone call. These are cultural centers rather than tourist destinations.

We're hoping to visit several smaller museums and maraes on this trip in Gisborne and along the River Road near Wanganui.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: maori all over the places!

Hi Windy. Thanks.

Anyway, anybody can suggest which rafting (grade 2-3) and jetboat are reasonably good? Notice that most jetboat is about 30 mins. Is it enough considering the prices we have to pay?

Rotorua New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,517 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: maori all over the places!

Many of the Maori Cultural shows in Rotorua include a hangi dinner as well as the performance. Have a look at the following; www.maoriculture.co.nz; www.mitai.co.nz (combo tour with Rainbow Springs Nature Park under night lights) and www.tepuia.com (Te Po is the evening show).

The riverjet trip on the Waikato River www.riverjet.co.nz and The Squeeze and/ or Orakei Korako Thermal Valley may interest you.

As for rafting there are several companies operating from Rotorua. www.rotoruanz.com may list some.

Lots of fun to be had at the Agroventures and the Agrodome.

Make sure you spend enough time in Rotorua to enjoy the many things on offer.

Rotorua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: maori all over the places!

Another option is Kawarau Jet on Lake Rotorua which combines jetboating thrills with an interesting commentary around points of interest such as Mokoia Island, Maori history and local legends, as well as some fascinating sights along the way. - 30 minutes is a good length of time and the trip is a reasonable price.