We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bad online accommodation booking experience

Auckland, New...
6 posts
Save Topic
Bad online accommodation booking experience

My partner and I recently had a bad experience with accommodation portal website http://www.amazingaccom.com/.

We booked a nearly $1000 a night house advertised as sleeping 12 people and having 4 bedrooms, one being a bunk bed room with 4 small beds and a "separate downstairs living area" that could accommodate a queen bed which would be available. This "separate downstairs living area" turned out to be hallway space off the garage, between the 2 downstairs rooms and the bathroom and there was no bed. So 2 of our friends had to sleep on the floor in this space, which, considering what we were paying was totally unacceptable. There was a strong gas smell coming from the external downstairs water heater also- calls to address this were not answered by anyone at the company and as a result we were unable to use the downstairs shower as we had no idea if it was dangerous or not to do so. The company offered us a small refund which my partner accepted, but was half what it should have been based on the fact that 2 people slept on the floor for 2 nights. The website has since changed due to our complaints but we were unable to reach a satisfactory settlement.

We rented another house nearby too- which had the longest, steepest driveway I have ever seen. This was not mentioned in the listing at all- seriously, unless you were reasonably fit, you could not walk up this driveway at all. My car barely made it!

My correspondence with Campbell Bevan at Amazingaccom.com to address this was met with rude arrogance and we will never deal with him or Amazingaccom.com again. If you do choose to rent from these people, be absolutely sure you know what you are getting as they were less than upfront with us.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,103 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bad online accommodation booking experience

Whilst I now nothing about Campbell Bevan and his wife, the Board of Directors are very experienced Travel Directors and /or reputable businessmen in Wellington. I have passed the link of this thread through to the company and invited them to comment as there are generally two sides to every dispute and often they differ considerably.

I have had a response from the company advising that this matter is an ongoing one. If they respond to TA it may provide some balance.

What does concern me about this thread is that having reached an agreement on compensation with the company the poster would now come back and make disparaging remarks about them. If the compensation was inadequate why accept it.

New Zealand law has plenty of legal remedies available to injured parties should they have need of redress. The Disputes Tribunal immediately comes to mind.

Edited: 15 December 2010, 00:03
Auckland, New...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bad online accommodation booking experience

The settlement reached between the company and my partner was totally inadequate considering the circumstances and was agreed to simply because she could not be bothered with a fight with Campbell Bevan. I have every right to truthfully relate our experince with him in whatever online forum I choose. These are not "disparaging" remarks, thay are simply the facts. I look forward to seeing Amazingaccom.com's response.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,393 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bad online accommodation booking experience

I have no idea what sort of gas water heating system you experienced but if it was an instant gas water heater (i.e. Rinnai) then you do get a gas smell as it kicks into gear when a hot tap is turned on. It's especially noticable if you are standing nearby or have a window open near the unit.

I too think you should not have accepted compensation and then posted a negative review.

Auckland, New...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bad online accommodation booking experience

Which is exactly what happened. We turned on the hot water downstairs, then got the gas smell.

My partner was told she would not get any more money than what was offered. This was half of what it should have been, based on the lack of a queen bed which was promised. I am perfectly entitled to then relate our experience of being treated very badly.

Wellington, New...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Bad online accommodation booking experience

This was an unfortunate situation that we made immediate steps to rectify and resolve. After an amicable settlement was reached and paid to the person who booked, as well as a goodwill gesture of 50% off their next holiday at this property, we were then contacted by her partner saying it was not enough. He said he worked in Web and social media and knows how to get messages out there.

A subsequent email said since they had accepted our payment “we now can't take a small claims case against you. But I can make sure a lot of people hear of our experence.”

The issue was with 1 of our 400+ properties and NOT with the booking portal Amazing Accom where 1000’s of very happy people have booked their accommodation and continue to do so on a daily basis. We deal with any issues promptly and professionally and welcome feedback on any properties listed with us.

Auckland, New...
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bad online accommodation booking experience

We were initially advised VERY clearly by campbell Bevan that we would get NO compensation for our unfortunate experience. We were then offered $100. This was rejected then we were offered $200. The cost to us (we repaid our friends who didn't get a bed) was $400. We requested this from the start. I wouldn't really call that an urgent response to rectify things. A settlement was reached, but not amicably.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,103 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bad online accommodation booking experience

Settlements are generally arrived at through negotiation. It appaers that the client of Amazing accom reached an accomodated negotiated settlement acceptable to both parties.

It is a tragedy that a third party not involved in the negotiations should try to relitigate the matter in an inappropriate forum. To now try and relitigate the matter brings no credit on the OP irrespective of the merits of their arguement.

If the client ( Partner of the OP) was not satisfied they should have declined settlement and taken the matter through the Disputes Tribunal or Small claims Tribunal.

Auckland, New...
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bad online accommodation booking experience

Phrase it how you like. When a settlement is reached under duress, it is not a settlement.

I am by not means trying to re litigate anything. This is a done deal. I am just relating our experience, for the sake of other people who may find themselves in a similar situation.

The point you seem to be missing- and the very reason for my post, is that we found our dealings with Campbell Bevan to be entirely unsatisfactory. If I choose to post on a forum regarding our experiences, rather than go through the drama of a disputes tribunal, then that decision is mine.

I am not trying to reach any further settlement with amazingaccom.com, and I am not the protagonist here, but the victim. You industry people can try and to paint me how you like, but the facts are the facts.

9. Re: Bad online accommodation booking experience

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2011, 06:17