We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary during WC - what do you think? Not too rushed?

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary during WC - what do you think? Not too rushed?

24-Sept - Arrive aukland 20:00pm

25-Sept - Auckland

26-Sept - Auckland - Rotarua

27-Sept - Rotarua

28-Sept - Rotarua - Auckland via Coromandel

29-Sept - Auckland

30-Sept - Auckland (GAME)

1-Oct - Auckland - Queensland (flight, arrive approx 14:30)

2-Oct - Queenstown

3-Oct - Queenstown (day trip to Milford SOund)

4-Oct - Queenstown - Franz josef glaciers via Greymouth

5-Oct - Franz josef glaciers

6-Oct - Franz josef glaciers - malbourgh sounds

7-Oct -Malbourgh sounds (winetouring)

8-Oct-Mabourgh - Wellington

9-Oct- Wellington - FIJI (fly out 7am)

9-OCt - 14OCt FIJI (mana island)

14-Oct - Fiji - Auckland

15-Oct - Auckland - South Africa

Does this itinerary sound ok? We don't want to be too rushed but also want to see a bit of the country since we will be in FIJI to rest and relax the last few days. We only have tickets for 1 game in Auckland (north shore) 30th September. Is there anything that is a "must see" that I left out? We intend to rent a car in auckland and from queentown to wellington(is this possible?) And since we are winelovers (I'm from stellenbosch, south africas wine region) we would love to do a bit of winetasting. Any recommended wineries? I really only know Clouds, but would like to visit one or two boutique wineries as well?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,515 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary during WC - what do you think? Not too rushed?

Way too rushed and verging on impossible some days - plus your geography is confused ;-).

28 Sept - Coromandel roads are very narrow & winding, plus very scenic. I do not recommend Rotorua-Corromandel-AKL in one day. Take a day off AKL if necessary and overnight somewhere in the Coromandel.

4th Oct - you don't go via Greymouth to get to the Glaciers. Greymouth is about 3 hours further north.

6th October - too far (523 KM and over 7 hours driving to Picton) The wineries are not in the Marlborough SOUNDS either. Possibly after your glacier visit on the 5th you could get as far as Hokitika and on the 6th it would only be 5:30 to Blenheim.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
349 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary during WC - what do you think? Not too rushed?

I think you should consider flying from Queenstown to Wellington. That way you will save (at least) a full days driving. There are also good wineries in Central Otago.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary during WC - what do you think? Not too rushed?

Hehe, the via greymouth was meant for the next day - 5th OCtober! Okay so we will cut out Coromandel and maybe just add the Waitomo caves on the way back from Rotarua. Unfortunately we have to spend quite a bit of time in Auckland since we are visiting family there. We will probably not spend more than a day exploring Auckland, so I was hoping that we can do one or two daytrips from there? Any recommendations? I've read that there's also quite a few wineries.

As for the driving the 6th of October - I'm from south africa, used to driving long distances so don't consider 7hours that far (-:

And We really want to do the Interislander ferry crossing, so won't consider flying from Queensland. AS for the wine tasting - I used http://www.nzwine.com/wineries/ to have alook at the wine regions and there seems to be quite a few wineries in Marlborough. ???http://www.tourism.net.nz/region/marlborough/marlborough---marlborough-sounds/tours/wine-tours/

4. Re: Itinerary during WC - what do you think? Not too rushed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2012, 10:28