We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

air new zealand premium economy vs skycouch

atlanta
Level Contributor
231 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
air new zealand premium economy vs skycouch

We can't afford to purchase business class seats. That said, has anyone got first had experience of the premium economy seats and/or the skycouch seats? I have read that the new premium economy seats may not be very comfortable and would be disappointed it that were so but would be upset to purchase them and find it more uncomfortable than coach or the skycouch.

Thnaks

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,490 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: air new zealand premium economy vs skycouch

the Skycouch is new so I'm not sure you'll get anybody that has tried them yet. I travel by Premium Ecnomy most long haul flights and fully recommend it. They are AirNZ's old business class and are well worth the extra $. Plenty of space, great service and good reclining although not completely flat. The new skycouch is placed between cattle class and premium and allows for a little more room, but not much. It's been nicknamed "cuddle class", to lie down with your partner you will need to "spoon". A great concept if you can't quite afford the premium but want to be able to lay flat and are also, not too large.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
9,312 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: air new zealand premium economy vs skycouch

There are some reviews in the air travel forum.

I was able to attend an opening of the new plane recently and while we did not fly anywhere, we were able to try all the seats. While the PE do not give you a "lie flat" experience they appeared to me to be fantastic concidering they are a lot cheaper than business. You can stretch out fully, and you can set the seat up better than a quality recliner. I think I could sleep really well.

The sky couch (cuddle seat) has to be bought as a set. So you need to be travelling with some one. I don't know that 2 could realisticly sleep horizontal. You have to curl your feet in, and they are not that wide. If one of you is wider than average you might find yourself stuck! However, there is definitely more room. One could sit up normally and the other could lie down with their legs across you or something. If you fly NZ to LHR say, 2 would be cheaper in skycouch than 2 in PE.

The ordinary ecconomy seats feel a bit narrow, but there seemed to be more leg room than usual, and even in the middle seat you can stand up without banging your head.

Apart from the fancy new seats, the new meal service etc will set some new standards.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: air new zealand premium economy vs skycouch

Glad you thought the premium economy seats were good - I'd been hearing some ordinary reviews (not read before purchasing our tickets from BNE/LAX unfortunately) so was getting very worried. Any other feedback from your veiwing of the PE cabin? Would be interested to hear.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,490 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: air new zealand premium economy vs skycouch

I've just flown back to NZ from LA in AirNZ's brand new 747-300 all fitted out in the new seating arrangements. The PE isn't actually as comfortable as some of it''s other planes, there's a little less space than I'm used to. The economy seats were very comfortable and did seen to be a tighter fit; I think they have added another seat to the centre aisle(3-4-3 across the plane). No one was using the skycouch. The entertainment system was fantastic and very easy to negotiate, everything you want and more right at your fingertips and no waiting for access to movies, straight into them at the gate. Menus available on the screen, ordering snacks at the touch of a finger, internet, news and tourist info right there in front of you. And you wouldn't believe what was painted on the loo walls!

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,370 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: air new zealand premium economy vs skycouch

Ooh! Do tell Zappers.

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,370 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: air new zealand premium economy vs skycouch

The Australian Business Traveller has an on line report with lots of photos of all three cabins.

I think this should get you to it: www.ausbt.com.au/air-newzealand -777-300er.

If not,try Air new Zealand frequent flyer site on Flyertalk.

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: air new zealand premium economy vs skycouch

I liked them and more importantly so did the wife. Was nice not having anyone recline into you. Had great seats on the AKL - LHR which were at the front (so bulkhead) which gave us a huge amount of leg room as well. I did hear people complain, but hey, people like to complain. Well done AIRNZ

New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: air new zealand premium economy vs skycouch

Poppy039, could you clarify which seating that you liked, please? The premium economy seats or the skycouch? Or was it the economy seats?

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: air new zealand premium economy vs skycouch

Hi sure - it was Premium Economy - 23 J/K is where we sat.

Wellington
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: air new zealand premium economy vs skycouch

My husband and I recently flew Akl to Lax and booked the sky couch. By no means are we little, both being approx 90kg each. With me being 5'.3 and my husband 5'6 the length of the seats were'nt an issue. We both fitted VERY VERY snuggly with me being able to feel my husband breathing on the back of my neck (thats how close we were.) We found we could not move around much so decided to go top and tail which for us, was way better. What definiately cuts down your space is when the seats in front are reclined which means you have to do that to yours. Even when you have done this it is still less space than if they stayed in the up right position. In all the photos I've seen they don't show this. Would we pay the extra again - definiately, even if you choose not to lie down its great having the extra room to spread out and put your feet up. The new plane is nice but the isles are definiately narrower which is a pain as you can't help but knock people when walking to the bathroom. When I was looking to book, I did consider premium economy however the two seats for couples only allowed for one person to sort of lie down by putting their feet on their partners lap and the other draw back was that there was no foot rest only a bean bag thing and that did not stand very high so your feet aren't elevated much so for the extra cost I didn't think it was worth it whereas the sky couch enabled both to lie down. The sky couch cost was $1200 extra and that was return. Hope this helps.