We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Zealand Campervan hire

Cornwall
Level Contributor
17 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
New Zealand Campervan hire

Hi,

Looking to hire a campervan and have found a company called Pure, http://www.puremotorhomesnz.co.nz/index.php but very little information about them.

Hoping for some feedback from people who have used them.

Thanks

124 replies to this topic
Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,274 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Zealand Campervan hire

From the Pure motorhomes website it ppears that they are owned by Kiwi Campers which according to their website their fleet is primarily used KEA motorhomes. When checking the physical addresses in Christchurch of both Kea and Kiwi their depots are across the road from each other.

Kea are a reputable motorhome company and I am summising here that Kiwi is possibly their second tier outlet for older motor homes. This does not in anyway mean that the motorhomes are not in very good condition just older and possibly a little cheaper.

Many rental companies operate "budget" companies for their older stock which caters for a very different market than their "first class" product.

Manchester, United...
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: New Zealand Campervan hire

HI there

I'm in exactly your position. I've found Pure campervans and not a lot of information about them. Did you ever book with them? What were your experiences?

Thanks x

Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Zealand Campervan hire

We have used Kea and Discover NZ Motorhomes. Very happy with both. Another good website to look for reviews is rankers.co.nz they seem to have some info on different companies.

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
3,944 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Zealand Campervan hire

Hi Cornwall!

It's no answer to your question, but when we travel in New Zealand, we always rent an ordinary sedan and stay in comfy motels instead of driving around in a Stanley Steamer.

Lots of motels in New Zealand cost under £50/night (under US$80/night) per room not per person, including taxes. We much prefer the convenient locations and ensuite hot showers, and it's more pleasant to overnight in an appealing property rather than a campground or Wal-Mart parking lot. Not to mention that I don't have to do maintenance on the vehicle.

If you're determined to be in a camper or the rear of a mini-van, all the best to you. Many don't realize, though, that New Zealand motels are numerous, comfortable and compete price-wise with the Stanley Steamer costs of rental and extra petrol, not to mention that I can actually park my sedan in a parking garage on along a downtown street!

Happy travels!

David

Charlotte, Vermont
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: New Zealand Campervan hire

who do you recommend for car hire? meredith from vermont

Lunenburg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Saint John, Foz do Iguacu, Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
3,944 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Zealand Campervan hire

Hi Meredith!

When we traveled in December, we checked several New Zealand rental firms and also, over the internet, car wholesales. This is what I recommend you do.

We narrowed our search to AutoEurope for this particular trip, and to Apex of the New Zealand firms. We settled on AutoEurope, whose quote was the very lowest one with all the terms we needed.

AutoEurope is a car wholesaler, not itself a rental firm. It arranged the car through Hertz at Auckland Airport. Everything went smoothly.

Elsewhere in these forums, I've seen others perhaps unfamiliar with car wholesalers who may interject that you're on your own if anything should go wrong. This is not my experience, twice over.

A few years back, we rented a car in Turkey, arranged with a car wholesaler through National, an international franchise you're certainly heard of. We got rear-ended in the biblical city of Thyatira. The car was replaced without any blowback from National.

To crown my travel adventures, we rented a car in Italy once by the same kind of arrangements, this vehicle supplied by Avis. The car was stolen overnight in Naples, with one-third of our luggage still in it. Avis replaced the stolen car.

I said at the beginning that I recommend the process of checking internet car wholesalers as well as writing direct to local firms and see who can best supply what you need. I don't mean to shill for any particular firm or wholesaler. I've used several and never have I run into major problems.

David

Save Reply
7. Re: New Zealand Campervan hire

One 100% motorhome...don't be tied down to a set itinerary in Nz, weather plays a big part in how you will feel about spending a day or two in a spot. Motorhomes are not uneconomical and the modern European ones such as those available with htpp://www.iconicmotorhomes.com are as good as staying in a top hotel. Don't forget drives are long, resting places limited for car drivers, unpacking every night, some not too swish motels, and in some area's not even a choice. Have fun in nz

Edited: 19 November 2011, 05:41
Save Reply
8. Re: New Zealand Campervan hire

One 100% motorhome...don't be tied down to a set itinerary in Nz, weather plays a big part in how you will feel about spending a day or two in a spot. Motorhomes are not uneconomical and the modern European ones such as those available with htpp://www. iconicmotorhomes.com are as good as staying in a top hotel. Don't forget drives are long, resting places limited for car drivers, unpacking every night, some not too swish motels, and in some area's not even a choice. Have fun in nz

Edited: 19 November 2011, 05:42
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Zealand Campervan hire

I agree with Motorhomeexpert. We had a fabulous trip in a motorhome we rented from www.wildernessmotorhomes.co.nz. The motorhome was comfortable, well set up, and perfect for wild camping which was what we wanted to do. If you don't want to wild camp, there are lots of fantastic holiday parks to stay at. We were told before we went that the best way to see New Zealand is by campervan. It's so well set up for that style of travel and it's true. We found a great deal for the motorhome on another website www.new-zealand-camper-van-adventures.com/.

Wollongong
Level Contributor
1 post
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Zealand Campervan hire

interested to know where you found a Walmart in NZ???

Reply to: New Zealand Campervan hire
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted