We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Zealand Campervan hire

Cornwall
Level Contributor
17 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
New Zealand Campervan hire

Hi,

Looking to hire a campervan and have found a company called Pure, http://www.puremotorhomesnz.co.nz/index.php but very little information about them.

Hoping for some feedback from people who have used them.

Thanks

106 replies to this topic
Adelaide, Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: New Zealand Campervan hire

Don't use budget camper vans or TUI , part of the same group along with freedom campers, very poor service,

We arrived picked up the quite elderly van, didn't expect a new one, we had ordered a table and chairs which we paid rental for, also paid you for a tourist radio,

The first night we were tired so didn't use much at all, but then the second night we discovered a number of things

1. The table we had rented could not be used as there were no supports for the top

2. The chars provided were different in size and shape and could not be used to sit at the table if it had in fact been able to be used. the rental price was more than we could have purchased the chairs for at bunnings they were the $5 budget ones.

3. The fridge compressor did not switch off, the fan on the fridge ran for 53 seconds switched off for 3 then switched on for 53 seconds, continually, how do i know how long, it kept me awake all night.

4. There was no plug for the sink, also no washing up bowl, or torch provided, basic essentials I would think for camping.

5. The touriist radio that we rented from you for $25 did not work

6. On two occasions we had rain, unfortunately the rear doors of the vehicle did not seal and therefore the rain leaked in and soaked the rear of the cushions on the bench seats, which is not good when you have to sleep on them.

On returning the vehicle I was given a refund for the table only, the chairs, the leaking vehicle, the fridge compressor problems they couldn't care less about and no apology, the rep for the tourist radio was in the pemises when we returned and found that the radio was faulty and wouldn't wok. Budget/TUI did not give a refund as they said it was booked online motorhome republic an agent. DONT USE TUI, BUDGET OR ANYOF THERE ASSOCIATES, THEY OPERATE OUT OF THE SAME PREMISES IN CHRISTCHURCH.

Have to say New Zealand is a wonderful place despite the rubbish van

12. Re: New Zealand Campervan hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2012, 05:03

Adelaide, Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: New Zealand Campervan hire

you removed a post of mine which was not advertising or self promotion, it was in fact an account of how badly we had been treated by this company, by removing it you are protecting I presume your own interests, by ensuing you can gain some benefit from them by not allowing negative comments, not impressed folks

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: New Zealand Campervan hire

Chris, I believe the removed post was one of three posts by a new member all advertising their campervan booking site from France. Three identical posts on three campervan threads and TA rightfully zapped them as advertising and self-pronotion. If you look back you will see your initial post remains in plain view to everyone.

Wollongong
Level Contributor
2 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: New Zealand Campervan hire

We have just returned from a campervan holiday of NZ. The place is awash with campervan hire companies. I would stick to main stream like Kea, Maui, Wilderness or the cheaper Britz, Juicy. Maui seem to be only company that does not require full payment in advance. Campervan hire is not cheap when you take into consideration camping fees of around $30-40 for 2 and some places still charge $2 for a shower on top of that. If a van costs $200 a day you can get a very good motel room and hire car for that. Different experience I know!.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
136 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: New Zealand Campervan hire

We haven't gone yet but got a really cheap camper from Britz. I've heard mixed reviews about them, mainly the linen and bathroom being dirty. I plan to do an inspection prior to taking the keys to make sure it's clean. We did get a 4 berth camper for $46.00NZD per day for 2 weeks which was a lot better than a lot of places. Hopefully it all goes well!!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
6 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: New Zealand Campervan hire

I'll add another vote for the campervan. We rented one for a one way trip from Queenstown to Christchurch in February 2012. We rented through Britz. We had no problems with the vehicle, except for not being used to driving something so large. The flexibility it offered us was well worth it. I agree that it may come out a wash between rental, petrol and RV park fees vs hotels and car rental but not having to pack your suitcase up everyday was really nice. We also really liked the option to prepare some of our own meals.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,178 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: New Zealand Campervan hire

According to the business pages there were 64000 hires of campervans in NZ. In size order the biggest markets are Oz, UK, and Germany. Many of the 64000 are repeat business. So in other words there are a lot of happy campers out there.

However it is not for everyone. (over 1 million visited NZ last year) Personally I really like this form of holiday. It is not a budget option. In the past you could park a sleeper-van anywhere you liked, but freedom camping for "non contained" vehicles has really tightened up.

Britz is simply a slightly older (but a long way from old) Maui. Affordable is a slightly older Apollo. Tui is independant of Kea but used to buy slightly older Kea.

Tourism holdings now own Maui, Britz, Mighty, Kea and United, all of which are quality brands.

There are many good companies out there. I found the smaller Wildernes excelent. I would check bottom line prices, Rankers and who has a Qualmark rating.

Kyle of Lochalsh...
1 post
Save Reply
19. Re: New Zealand Campervan hire

Hi Michele,

That sounded like a great deal - how typical do you think it was? How's the van working out? We're hoping to come back over in October.

All the best,

Geoff H

Adelaide
Level Contributor
136 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: New Zealand Campervan hire

Geoff, We haven't had the trip yet so hopefully it goes ok. I think I got a really good price but I also went back to them and asked them about some of the negative reviews they have online and they gave me an extra discount. I'm planning on doing an inspection of the camper before we drive away so if it's not clean I will be telling them to clean it before we go.

Reply to: New Zealand Campervan hire
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted