We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do not use Apex Car Rentals

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Do not use Apex Car Rentals

We recently hired a car thru them we usually used ACE car rentals but due to lovely service from Apex in Nelson when we hired a car for 3 days on our last visit, decided to try them again, we are a family of 4 adults traveling from Auckland to Christchurch and we pre-booked a vehicle for $47. per day for 21 days, the specified hire period was at least 7 days for this vehicle. We received our quote for the vehicle hire and pre paid for the Inter Island Ferry, my quote also shows 2 adult fares for $69.00 each and $65.00 for 2 students and they were to produce their student ID cards at the ferry. Wellll! we got to Apex in Auckland and explained that my husband needed to have a hernia op so we needed to take 6 days off the hire time, so we were then charged $58. per day for 14 days vehicle hire, the lady said there was not a student fare for the ferry so she charged us the adult fare for them, by now we were annoyed as it would have been better for us to just cancel the car booking 2 weeks previously and rebook it for the 14 days and gotten the $47. rate, where as we were stuck and had no where to go at 6pm so we had to suck it, we definitely felt ripped off. Then we were taken to the car omg!, thankfully my husband is a panelbeater and he picked up damage not noted, mind you the datsun sunny was so full of dents, scratches and the bumper bar looked like it might not make the trip without falling off, hunk of rubber missing off the passengers door, inside the car was a huge stain on the passenger carpet and the seats were uncomfortable, and get a load of this it came with a cassette deck yep! last year only 3 cassettes were sold in NZ at a total cost of $13.00 (on the news) and Apex knew where we were going and gave us a car with no entertainment so we hardly got to hear the radio at all as we were out of radio range, it had no cruise control, the vehicle pulled to the left when driving it, the wipers were straight out dangerous and everytime it rained we could barely see thru the windscreen, and in spite of the passenger/baggage rating for this vehicle it was severely underpowered and would not go more than 60-70 kml per hr up hills and we were as slow as the trucks, this made out ETA longer and we were really tired and exhausted it was a nightmare of a vehicle. We had never experienced a trip like it. Even ACE Rentals have better vehicles for hire and although they are a little untidy you are assured a better mechanically cared for hire and they are charged out accordingly and it is fair, If I had wanted to spent $58. per day on a vehicle I would have chosen a better vehicle than a 2000 - 2005 Datsun Sunny, we were ripped off an extra $11. per day for a heap of junk, clearly Apex are not being fair and as you are in another country feel they can change the rules to please themselves, they had the hide to charge us 1.8% Commission on the $58. yet on my confirmation hire sent from Apex I was not....... Do yourself a huge favour do not deal with Apex, clearly reading the posts shows Apex do not care, when we returned the car in ChCh,we found the customer service lady quite rude, maybe their motto is "sting'em once sting'em well" I only wish I had read these posts before we booked with them.

96 replies to this topic
Tel Aviv
1 post
Save Reply
11. Re: Do not use Apex Car Rentals

Some unpleasant facts you must know about Apex 8.2011

Before our visit to New Zealand, me and my wife and acquaintance of us had done car reservations at Apex by email, one car on my name and another car on the other couple name.

When we received the car, Apex, the car rental company, so they claim, had done a mistake and put my name also on the other car rental agreement. They say that immediately after the other couple had signed that wrong agreement they discovered the mistake and corrected the other couple agreement but forgot to sign them. I did not heard about this mistake at the time, but In the Kiwi Land this mistake done by Apex became officially my problem.

As we returned home I received a traffic violation report on a car I did not rented and I suspected it to be the other couple car.

I thought it was an honest mistake but after a long and unpleasant correspondence with Apex, with the NZ Police, with the NZ Ministry of Justice and with a lot of other NZ institutes I found out that it had been done intentionally in order to solve Apex problem, obviously on my expense.

All there replies were that it is my responsibility either to pay the report or give them the details of the other car driver.

Why? – The outrageous official reply: Because Apex claims that due to their mistakes they don't know the other couple address and driver license No and since both car reservations were done in one email and both cars had been delivered on the same day, I am responsible for both cars. I believe this is against the New Zealand law and they would not dare to do this to a Kiwi.

Fortunately in my case, in part of our trip, the other couple accompanied us so I had searched all my 4000 pictures and found one picture of the other couple car. After enlarging it I had identified their car registration number and found that it was the offensive car. Then I had searched the phone book and found the address of the other couple.

It is frightening to think what may have happen if I did not had a way to locate the other couple and there was a car accident or a serious incident.

We had visited both western countries and third world countries and had never received such outrageous attitude.

We will never come back to New Zealand – We prefer countries which respect their tourists.

Zvika

12. Re: Do not use Apex Car Rentals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 August 2011, 21:05

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,097 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Do not use Apex Car Rentals

I await a response from Apex with interest because I am sure we will get one. I find some of your comments quite incredible. I note that you booked two cars on the same email yet you didnt know where your aquaitances lived until after your returned to Israel and only found their address by looking it up in the phone book, I am amazed that since you had such a close relationship such that you booked their car you werent able to communicate with them other than looking for their address in the phone book. What were the other "NZ Institutes" you corresponded with and what was the outcome of your discussions with MInistry of Justice who I am surprised were involved in a traffic offence. It does not fall within their gambit. I can understand that the mistake about allocating the vehicles happening but as you were both travelling together why did you not get the matter properly resolved before leaving the Car rental Depot. As you are an experienced international car hirer I am further amazed how you would allow such a mix up to remain unresolved for the duration of the hire. I will withold further comments until we hear from Apex.

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,331 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Do not use Apex Car Rentals

They would have got a 'it's not us, talk to the Police and/or Apex' response from MoJ. MoJ are a policy shop and run the courts system; they will not get involved in any civil disputes.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,368 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Do not use Apex Car Rentals

"We will never come back to New Zealand – We prefer countries which respect their tourists"

ZivikaRub, it's a pity that you tar all New Zealand and all New Zealanders with the same brush as I'm sure this problem was an isolated issue compared with the rest of your holiday. Never mind, with 4000 photos it can't have all been bad and you'll be able to relive your good NZ experiences many times over.

Edited: 17 August 2011, 00:10
Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,097 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Do not use Apex Car Rentals

Zvikarub I understand that Apex are looking into your complaint and are having some difficulty in finding your booking. If you could provide some dates and where you hired the vehicles it may prove helpful.

As many will be aware this is a company I strongly recommend to visitors so I am as keen as anyone to see that any complaint is dealt with effectively and precisely

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
328 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Do not use Apex Car Rentals

Below is the response to Zvika from Apex Rentals infringements officer.

Hello, I am Yvonne at Apex Rentals and I deal with all of the speeding tickets and parking fines for the company. It has been my unfortunate task to have to deal with Zvika over the last few months, a task that has taken quite some hours of my time. I have set out below the details of the whole affair for anyone who is interested, however before embarking on that I would like to make an important personal point.

Zvika refers to unpleasantness in the correspondence. I can assure the reader that all of the unpleasantness, and it was indeed very unpleasant at times, was on the part of Zvika. My responses have never been anything less than professional, factual and courteous.

Now, to the facts:

Zvika’s wife arranged their car hire with Apex through the internet.

She asked for two cars: one for herself and her husband, and one for their friends, a married couple.

Car1 was to be hired in the name of her husband, and all four of them were to be listed as drivers.

Car2 was to be hired in the name of the husband of the other couple, and also have all four of them listed as drivers.

Zvikas’s wife supplied us with full names and ages for all four drivers, and credit card details for her husband and the other hirer. This group picked up their cars together, travelled on the same ferry, and returned their cars together in Auckland over a month later.

Some time after the cars were returned, we received a notice of a speed camera fine relating to one of the vehicles and as required by law, submitted the relevant driver details to the speed camera authorities.

It is important at this stage to point out that under NZ law, in the event of a speed camera fine, while the owner of the car is presumed to be liable for the offence, that presumption can be overcome by supplying, by means of a statutory declaration, details of the driver of the car. It is important to note here that the hirer and the driver on a rental car contract are not necessarily the same person.

We had address details for only one of the drivers, Zvika, who was named as a driver on both contracts (at his wife’s request). We therefore supplied his details to the speed camera office.

I presume that the speed camera office then wrote to Zvika and asked him to pay the fine or to name the driver that was driving at the time of the offence. To the casual observer this might seem like an open and shut case. You hire a car in a foreign country, you get caught speeding, you pay the fine. End of story, move on, nothing to see here.

Boy, how wrong can you be - not this route for our Mr Zvika.

First he writes to me and denies liability for the offence.

I apologised, explaining that while we had his name recorded as the driver for the car, if the driver had in fact been his friend or one of the other drivers, could he please let us know the appropriate address, and if possible, driver licence, and we would re-submit a statutory declaration to the Police with the correct details.

Next he writes to me and claims to know nothing about a second car.

Then he writes to the Police, the Ministry of Justice, the ministry of Tourism and after presumably getting no comfort there, writes again to me demanding a full refund of the entire amount of his hire (due, according to him, to our incompetence)

I told him at that stage that he should write to the Speed Camera office letting them know the details of the person who was driving the car at the time of the offence, but that as far as we were concerned, correspondence was closed.

Zvika says he and his friends will never come back to NZ; to be frank, that is just fine by us. Contrary to his assertion, we certainly do respect and appreciate tourists in this country, in particular those who respect our road rules and drive within the speed limit, and those who treat us with the openness and common courtesy that we extend to all of our visitors and each other.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,368 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Do not use Apex Car Rentals

Thank you quin for your detailed response, usually it would be like flogging a dead horse trying to respond to these type of issues but as far as I'm concerned I know who I believe here.

I'm sorry Zivka but based on reading both sides of the story I think you have done a dis-service to Apex. There are too many visitors that have thumbed their noses at traffic infringements in the past and I believe you were going to be another one of them. You make out that you didn't know the other couple's details and yet tell us you booked both cars by email and spent all or part of your holiday here with them. If it wasn't you who was driving the vehicle then you should have passed the other driver's information on when asked. Plain and simple, someone in your party was driving one of the vehicles that incurred a traffic infringement and they were both booked by you(or your wife). If you weren't happy to put your hand up to being the driver then you should have passed on the relevant information and stopped pleading ignorance. And if you really weren't sure which one of the 4 drivers was driving at the time of the speed camera catching the car then you could have asked for a photo.

Respect is a two way street.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,097 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Do not use Apex Car Rentals

We will probably see flying pigs in the air before these guys pay their fines or am I using the wrong animal here.

Zvika you have done yourself and your countrymen a very big disservice in making your quite obviously false comments about this NZ company. Unfortunately I dont expect to get a response from this contributor nor hear from them again.

Having taken around 4000 photos it would appear that you enjoyed your stay in NZ this incident aside which is pleasing to hear

Should you ever decide to come back the fine will be waiting for you as you cross the border.

Happy travelling

Hamilton
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
20. Re: Do not use Apex Car Rentals

We will never come back to New Zealand – We prefer countries which respect their tourists.

Very happy to hear that you won't be returning to NZ.

Reply to: Do not use Apex Car Rentals
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted