We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mount Cook in day trip?

Texas
Level Contributor
171 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Mount Cook in day trip?

Would it be too long a day to drive to Mount Cook and back to Wanaka in one day? Should we stay at Mount Cook overnight? The accommodations there do not have good reviews. Stay at Lake Tekapo or drive back to Wanaka? Please give me your opinion. Thanks so much.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,871 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mount Cook in day trip?

there is great acomodation at Omarama and in Twizel.

Not really a good isea to do Wanaka to MtCook same day return, if you can spend the night it gives you time to enjoy the scenery and activities etc without the pressure to get back and take undue risk on our roads

Texas
Level Contributor
171 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mount Cook in day trip?

thanks so much for your opinion. I will look at Omarama and Twizel for lodging.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,364 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mount Cook in day trip?

The drive Wanaka to Aoraki/Mt Cook takes just 3 hours one way. I have often done a day trip in the summer months. And if staying, then stay at Aoraki. There is a good selection newzealand.com/travel/…

Texas
Level Contributor
171 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mount Cook in day trip?

Thanks for your reply. Do you recommend Hermitage Hotel? The reviews are mxed but the views look beautiful and the location is great. It would be nice not to drive any more that day.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,364 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mount Cook in day trip?

I've never stayed at the Hermitage, but have visited it many times. I can confirm their loos are lovely :)

Either take a mountain view room and hope for clear skies for perfect views, or take a motel unit and spend the saved cash on a lovely meal.

Save Reply
6. Re: Mount Cook in day trip?

hi - Hermitage here

We hope you do decide to stay with us, we have some great deals at the moment see www.hermitage.co.nz. Aoraki Mount Cook National Park is part of New Zealand's world heritage area, and not to be missed on a Southern Driving holiday.

It's a beautiful drive from/to Aoraki Mount Cook - Wanaka, so our suggestion would be take your time and enjoy the views, especially if you are coming out over the next few months - the Autumn colours are stunning!

regards

Peta

www.hermitage.co.nz

7. Re: Mount Cook in day trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 00:16