We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bookings for excursions/restuarants during the world cup

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Bookings for excursions/restuarants during the world cup

Hi everyone

We will be in NZ from the 22nd September - 9th October for the World cup. I was wondering if anyone can give my an idea of how far ahead I should book for daytrips/excursions/restuarants?

We want to do the Milford Sound nature cruise on the 2nd October (will be driving ourselves from Queenstown) and from the website of real journeys the afternoon (1:30pm) cruise already seems to be sold out. Should I go ahead and book the morning cruise?

Also on the 29th of Sept we want to eat at the Skytower for my birthday. how far ahead should we book? Usually I don't like planning everything to the finest detail and booking this far ahead but after my struggle to find accommodation in wellington I'd rather be safe than sorry.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bookings for excursions/restuarants during the world cup

Hello Miki, this is a learning curve for us as well. However I think we can safely say that those who don't pre-book well in advance for Sept/Oct will miss out.

Definitely book the Milford cruise now as well as anything else you are really keen to do. Do read the booking conditions first to check the cancellation policy. Plus ensure you have travel insurance to cover you for the unexpected.

I hope you don't plan to drive Queenstown to Milford, cruise, then drive back in one day? Please don't. The drive in ideal conditions takes a minimum of 4.5 hours one way. Avalanche season runs through Oct and in the winter months you are highly advised to take the bus tour. Or at least begin the trip from Te Anau, where the drive is just 2.5 hours. Frost is a major concern on the road early morning and best not to begin driving before 10am. Sorry to sound alarmist but the Milford Road has a high number of tourist accidents. Please take care.

Have a great trip :)

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bookings for excursions/restuarants during the world cup

hi, thx for the reply

I will book the milford cruise now, but since the afternoon cruises are already fully booked it doesn't really leave us with much of a choice. We will have to book the morning cruise which means that we will be leaving queenstown for milford sound very early in the morning. Also the bus trips are too expensive for us and will be double the cost since we are already paying for our rental car. The plan is to leave queentown early in the morning (05:30am) to make the early 10:30 journey. and then drive back and do a bit of sightseeing etc on the way back. I realize it is a long day but we are more than one person that can do the driving, are used to driving 12hours a day and on the left hand side of the road. Also I'm hoping that if we leave that early that we will miss the majority of the tourist busses. Do most rental agencies provide snow chains if it is necessary? and where can we get updates about the weather on the milford road closer to the time? thanks

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,515 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bookings for excursions/restuarants during the world cup

Do you realise that there could well be ice on the road until well after sunrise? Even though the first 2 hours of the journey are on relatively good rural roads this is not a journey to be taken lightly. You need to allow for the traffic lights at the Homer tunnel as well. If you cannot afford a bus ride perhaps you should at least consider staying the night in Te Anau the night before to shorten your journey by 2 hours. Remember you pay extra PER DAY for the second driver as well.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bookings for excursions/restuarants during the world cup

I think we will then try to stay over in Te Anau the night before, just hope I can cancel our Queenstown accommodation. Will it be allright if we leave early enough from Te Anau to make the 10:30 journey, say just after 7am?

Thanks for everyones recommendations.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bookings for excursions/restuarants during the world cup

No, it won't be alright to drive the road with the highest number of tourist accidents in NZ, in winter, on ice, at 7am.

6. Re: Bookings for excursions/restuarants during the world cup

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 07:16