We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in October?

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
98 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in October?

Hi

I’m travelling to New Zealand in Oct for the Rugby World Cup and I’ve hired a campervan for some it,

How warm will it be at night and roughly what will the weather be like whilst I’m there?

Cheers

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,089 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in October?

NZ stretches for over 2000 Km so the temp in the north will be very different from the temp in the south. October is spring so the weather will be very variable - could be very wet (makes the grass grow!) in the NI; could even snow in the SI - but could be fine & sunny as the month progresses - expect all conditions and make sure the hire company gives you enough duvets.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in October?

Hi

The weather in New Zealand is changeable and it is not without reason that we talk about having 4 seasons in a day. In October we are in early spring and the weather is often unsettled. There will be differences from one end of the country to the other and from east to west coasts but generally it will not be hot as in scorching or cold as in freezing.

When travelling here is it always best to be prepared for anything – something waterproof in case of a shower and a light fleece for the evenings when even in summer the temperature can drop noticeably once the sun goes down or disappears behind a cloud. You may find the following site useful:

tourism.net.nz/new-zealand/…temperatures

Bristol
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in October?

Instead of being a douche you might have done better to simply advise based on the match locations. Visiting wikipedia to quote that the country stretches 2000km or that grass requires rain to grow before stating that any condition could be expected, was there a thought process behind your comment?

Edited: 22 August 2011, 00:21
Wellington, NZ
Level Contributor
341 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in October?

#3, I presume you are upset because your football team just lost Cesc.

The previous replies were spot on. If you want detailed data you can look at the summary for last October (but there is no guarantee it will be the same - in fact you can almost guarantee it will be different).

niwa.co.nz/sites/default/files/import/attach…

If you take Dunedin (where a number of England games are), the October temperature last year ranged from -0.5 to 27 degrees Celcius, it rained 11 out of 31 days, but there was an average of over 7.5 hours sunshine per day.

It's a bit like the UK, only more extreme - you need to be prepared for all weather to make the most of it.

Ontario
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in October?

Also travelling to New Zealand in October. Thanks for the info.

6. Re: Weather in October?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 29 June 2012, 21:09
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in October?

I am travelling to New Zealand October 2013 and would like to know what is the weather like.

Thanks

stonington ct
Level Contributor
120 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather in October?

well, I read all about Oct, but how about Novermber which is when we plan to go, for about the entire month and hope to rent a van also.... just how bad are the mosquitos... will they buzz around our ears all night while we try to sleep in our van? dp

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather in October?

Nov can be like Oct - or you can get an early summer heatwave. Last Nov here in sunny Nelson was brilliant.

Mosquitos are not much of an issue in NZ. Sandflies on the other hand have entire threads devoted to them!

Brisbane, Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather in October?

Also going there at the same period. Tks for that guys. Peace