We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

16 days New Zealand Itinerary in Aug

Singapore, Singapore
3 posts
Save Topic
16 days New Zealand Itinerary in Aug

Hi

My family of 5 (2 early 60s, 2 mid 30s & 1 3 yrs old) will be arriving in Auckland on 08Aug, 10am and leaving from Christchurch on 23Aug, 6.35am.

It's our 1st time in New Zealand and 1st winter experience. We also do not have driving experience in winter.

We plan to drive during the 16 days and check-in to any motel/hotel as we travel down. Is Aug consider peak period? Is it easy to find accommodation especially motel with heater? Will we get to see snow during that period?

Please also help us with the 16 days itinerary.

A few places we intend to go:-

- Auckland Zoo

- glow worm cave (seriously considering. Any to recommend?)

- farm stay (must try. Any to recommend?)

- helicopter ride (must try. Any operator to recommend?)

- Whale watching

- hotair balloon (must try. Any operator to recommend?)

- wine vineyard (must go. Any to recommend?)

- any other recommendations?

Regards

SG

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,661 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 16 days New Zealand Itinerary in Aug

Welcome to NZ. I can recommend two routes - 1 is all driving & 1 requires a flight:

Option 1:

Day 2: Akl Zoo

Day 3: Drive from Akl to Waitomo Caves to Rotorua (2 N);

Day 5: Drive via Taupo to Mt Ruapehu;

Day 6: Drive to Wellington (2N);

Day 8: ferry to Picton - visit Marlborough Vineyards;

Day 9/10: Kaikoura - whale watching (check if your 3 y-o can go).

Day 11/12 Farm stay near Christchurch

Day 13/14: Akaroa - can do a dolphin cruise here

Day 15/16 Christchurch - don't miss Willowbank Wildlife Park (see kiwi and farm animals); Hot Air Ballooning

Option 2 would be to do a farm stay in the Waikato around days 4/5; fly from Rotorua to Christchurch on Day 5/6;

Day 7 - Drive to Franz Josef Glacier;

Day 8 - Drive to Wanaka (2 N - snow play)

Day 10 - Drive to Queenstown - (3-4N - snow play; vineyard tour; Milford Sound etc)

Day 14 QTn to Mt Cook;

Day 15 Mt Cook to Christchurch

Option 1 is less likely to be affected by snow on the road, although the "Desert Rd" between Taupo & Wellington can be closed by snow in August.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
295 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 16 days New Zealand Itinerary in Aug

Hi we drove and stayed in cabins in holidays camps which were brilliant.

check out www.kiwiholidayparks.com/…

and http://www.top10.co.nz/

Singapore, Singapore
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 16 days New Zealand Itinerary in Aug

Hi Zhuhai2007,

Thank you for your suggestions. I will go back and research on your suggested itineraries. If you have more ideas, do let me know.

Hi Fractalcat,

Are holiday camp sites security safe? I'm also afraid we might not be able to survive through the cold weather especially during winter time unless heater and hot water for bathing are provided. 

Btw, do you happen to know whether the rates for motels at holiday camp sites are cheaper than elsewhere? 

Hi,

Any recommendations are welcome. Please keep the ideas flowing in.

Thank you.

Regards

SG

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
295 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 16 days New Zealand Itinerary in Aug

Angelbell0 the holiday camps were totally safe. Some cabins were self contained and others had shared facilities.

I do remember heating in the cabins/rooms and also that linen and towels were available to hire. We were on a tight budget and found that they were really good value and often in beautiful settings.

The rooms we had ranged from a full apartment with 2 bedrooms, kitchen and power shower, to simple with just bed, tv, kettle and sink..

We also used BBH http://www.bbh.co.nz/

All have discount cards which you can arrange in advance.

Singapore, Singapore
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 16 days New Zealand Itinerary in Aug

Hi Fractalcat,

Thank you for your recommendations. I will sure need ideas on great savings in accommodations.

Hi,

Is it safe for my family to look for accommodations as and when we reach the place especially in the cold weather of August?

Thanks & Regards

SG

6. Re: 16 days New Zealand Itinerary in Aug

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 12:18