We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinery for both islands in 22 days - too ambitious?

Langar, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
183 reviews
Save Topic
Itinery for both islands in 22 days - too ambitious?

Just after any advice on whether my itinery for a road trip, staying in hostels/motels, is too ambitious please?

My wife and I are only going to get the chance to visit NZ once and want to make to most of it.

Any suggestions on anything I can miss out, swap or stop overnight elsewhere? I was trying to minimise really long stints of driving to get the chance to spend at least a little time in each place we stay.

Day 1: Arrive in Christchurch from UK @ 10.30am

Day 2: Day tour to Mount Sunday (Edoras)

Day 3: Travel to Omaru (Moeraki boulders)

Day 4: Travel to Queenstown

Day 5: Tour and jet boat in Skipper Canyon, the travel to Milford Sound

Day 6: Boat trip on Milford Sound, travel to Wanaka

Day 7: Travel to Fox Glacier

Day 8: Heli hike on Fox Glacier, travel to Punakaika

Day 9: Travel to Collingwood or Takana (Golden Bay)

Day 10: Travel to Picton

Day 11: Picton to Wellington ferry

Day 12: Day in Wellington (Weta visit?)

Day 13: Travel to Napier

Day 14: Travel to Rotoua

Day 15: Wai-O-Tapu, travel to Raglan (to see the surf)

Day 16: Travel to Whakatane

Day 17: White Isle boat trip, Travel to Matamata

Day 18: Trip to Hobbiton, travel to Orewa

Day 19: Travel to Omapere or Opononi

Day 20: Kauri Forest, Travel to Russell

Day 21: Bay of Islands boat tour, travel to Auckland

Day 22: Day in Auckland (White Lady burger)

Day 23: Fly back to UK @ 01.10am

Thanks in advance.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinery for both islands in 22 days - too ambitious?

Hello FS, you have some extremely long drives planned. I suggest you cut back and allow some time for weather delays and exploration.

When do you plan to be here? Our days are now short and the roads potentially icy.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,661 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinery for both islands in 22 days - too ambitious?

Definitely too much driving (more than 5 hours each day). You have no 2 night stays, which IMO are essential for laundry & allowing for bad weather etc. Also note for Day 5 that there is not much accommodation in Milford Sound unless you are staying overnight on a boat. Better to do a coach/cruise/fly to Milford on Day 5 then Jet boat ride AM & drive to Wanaka pm on day 6. (2 nights in Queenstown).

Day 14 - you head south of Rotorua to Wai-o-Tapu then north and west to Raglan - only 3 hours driving (but some of it is back-tracking) but then on Day 15 you retrace your route almost entirely to get to Whakatane - 4:24hr. Why don't you skip Raglan and see the surf on the Pacific Coast around the Bay of Plenty? Or detour to Raglan after Hobbiton, perhaps staying 2 nights in Hamilton.

Langar, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinery for both islands in 22 days - too ambitious?

Hi WanakaLakes and zhuhai2007.

I'm not coming until February 2012, so hopefully ice won't be a problem.

I thought the itinery was going to be a bit gruelling and tried to plan a round trip on both islands. I could miss out Golden Bay and Raglan to give us a few more days to explore. The man reason for driving to Milford Sound was budget but I'll have a look around at coach/cruise/fly; any suggestions?

Cheers.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinery for both islands in 22 days - too ambitious?

Hi

I would say that you will probably need to go home for a rest!

Please be aware that it takes a long time to get from A to B in NZ. We do not have an extensive motorway system and our roads are for the most part like your smaller A Roads and your B Roads. 300kms to 400kms is a very good day's drive in NZ particular if one allows for stops etc.

I would strongly recommend that you try and stay for more than one night as much as possible. This will make for a much more relaxing trip.

Langar, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinery for both islands in 22 days - too ambitious?

Thanks lonekaurilodge.

I've been using the travel time calculator at www.newzealand.com for some help and have read a couple of guide books which mention the road network. I think my biggest problem is the South Island and getting to Milford Sound and the Fox Glacier; the distances and driving times involved are mind boggling.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinery for both islands in 22 days - too ambitious?

Hi again

I always use and recommend Google Maps for route planning and calculating driving times.

www.maps.google.co.nz

The times are basic driving times and can be as much as doubled to allow for stops.

The AA site is also useful

www.aatravel.co.nz/main/td-calculator.php

It makes some allowance for stops but even so the times are approximate.

London
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinery for both islands in 22 days - too ambitious?

I would not miss golden bay it is gorgeous. I would not spend ANY nights in Hamilton (why? there are so many more beautiful places - most NZers think of it as a very dull place).......have a great trip

Langar, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinery for both islands in 22 days - too ambitious?

Thanks for all your assistance.

I've tweaked the itinery a bit and have managed to stay in a couple of places for a couple of nights; Christchurch, Te Anau, Fox Glacier, Wellington and Paihia.

I really cannot wait until I get to New Zealand and it's still 6 months away!

9. Re: Itinery for both islands in 22 days - too ambitious?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2012, 06:42