We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can we do it? or is it mission impossible?

England
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Topic
Can we do it? or is it mission impossible?

Tell it to me straight please we are touring for nearly 6 weeks we plan to do the following;

4 Nights Auckland and visit sights in these days by tours,(Whale Watching,Bay of Islands,Caves

8 Nights South Island- Hire Car and drive around from Christchurch - Omaarama-Dunedin-Te Anau-Milford Sound-Fox Glacier- Gray Mouth - Christchurch

5 Days Fiji - (is this too long? is it worth doing? looked at Cook Islands but flights too expensive)

3 Days Brisbane(Work Related)

12 Days Perth- Hire Car following the Western Tour but doing it ourselves. (Fly back to England from Perth) Already done the west and south of Australia.

Any Ideas or suggestions gratefully received on Accomodation in NZ, but of OCD so everything has to be spotless, also allergic to animals so No Pets in accomodation.

Regards Wolfie

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,272 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can we do it? or is it mission impossible?

Not impossible.

re South island, I'd consider flight Auckland-Dunedin and start from there - no need to visit Chch twice, and the drive Chch-Dunedin isnt the worlds most interesting. Also 8 days barely does it assuming night 1-Chch, 2/3- Dunedin, 4/5- TeAnau, 6/7- Glaciers, and a very long drive back to Chch day 8, or drive to Gremouth and TranzAlpine afternoon train to Chch.....and that doesnt allow any time for Queenstown or Wanaka. NZ roads are a lot slower (thought quite good condition) than most people expect. You could do one night in the Glaciers, but thats assuming fine morning weather if you wish to do a glacier tour. And also Te Anau to Glaciers in one day is a lot of driving through very scenic (and worth many stops) country.

I'd take a couple less days for Perth - and add to NZ, though I am not sure what you consider a 'Western Tour' route in WA - a week in the SW of WA is fine, but if also intending to go far north of Perth then maybe more than 12 days there is required, but for closer to Perth and SW 7-10 ideal.

Edited: 05 June 2011, 01:02
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,461 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can we do it? or is it mission impossible?

I doubt Bay of Islands could be explored with a day tour from Auckland. I believe it takes 3 hours just to drive there.

For the South Island, you need a minimum of 10 days to do the circuit you propose, and then you will be very rushed. Plus the drive Te Anau to Franz is over 8 hours non-stop driving. Many visitors require 6 hours or more to drive just from Wanaka to Franz. The road is often narrow, twisty, steep with about 20 one-lane bridges and stunning scenery and short walks. There is little point, I feel, in coming here if you don't allow any time to see anything.

You don't mention what time of year you plan to travel. We are now in winter with shorter days and the possibility of snow and ice on the roads. Not the best time to contemplate a marathon road trip. Driver fatigue is the main cause of road accidents in NZ. Please plan wisely and travel safely :)

England
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Can we do it? or is it mission impossible?

We leave England on the 15th December 2011 and arrive in New Zealand on the 17th December, we then plan to fly to Fiji on the 31/01/11 - 05/01/12 and then to Brisbane (work) and then onto Perth on the 08/01/11 we plan to drive up as far as ningaloo staying at places on the way and doing the sites. we then fly home on the 21/01/12

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
3,570 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can we do it? or is it mission impossible?

I think you would be pushing it a bit. to fit all that in. 4 days isn't enough to do the north of North Island, and 8 days isn't really enough to do the South Island justice. Depending on your interests perhaps consider just doing Rotorua and Waitomo Caves in the north, and flying Rotorua / Queenstown and doing a half circut of the South Island back to ChCH. You could do whale watching at Kaikoura.

I've just returned from 10 days in Fiji, after an absence of 18 years. It was fabulous, and the changes in that time amazed me. However given your time constraints, and the cost of getting to Fiji, I would be inclined to forego that, and add the time to either NZ or Australia. If you haven't already done it, Arlie Beach, The Whitsundays, and The Great Barrier Reef are a far better deal than Fiji, and much cheaper IMO.

I can't comment on WA, having only been to Perth once, but you could spend a lifetime touring around Australia and still only scratch the surface, so you would have no trouble filling in your time.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
276 posts
595 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can we do it? or is it mission impossible?

Hi, why not skip the entire North Island? You can whale/dolphin watch from Kaikoura (north of Christchurch) and there are glowworm caves in Te Anau? This will give you time for Q'town too. Also, I'd second the suggestion to avoid the drab C'church to Dunedin drive. Whatever you do, don't plan on driving longer than 6 or at max 7 hours in a day with at least 2 to 3 stops in between. NZ roads are narrower and windier around the glacier region hence you've to pay a lot more attention versus driving in Australia with straight long roads across most of the country. Also, NZ natural beauty around most roads is superb and hence you may get distracted or want to stop more often than normal.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,279 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can we do it? or is it mission impossible?

You def need to fly AKL to Queenstown (or Dunedin if you want to do a wildlife tour) to maximize your time in NZ.

Orewa, New Zealand
Level Contributor
330 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can we do it? or is it mission impossible?

One factor you might want to consider if you are planning 5 days in Fiji is that December/January is the middle of the rainy season in the Pacific Islands. Your visions of sunshine and palm trees are much more likely to be torrential downpours and unbearable humidity at that time of the year.

Given your tight time constraints, I would go with the previous poster's suggestion of foregoing Fiji in favour of more time in NZ and Oz.

8. Re: Can we do it? or is it mission impossible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 20:15