We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile phone use - am I being stupid?

Langar, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
183 reviews
Save Topic
Mobile phone use - am I being stupid?

I may be being a bit daft but if I'm using a UK mobile phone in New Zealand, do I need to use the international code when ringing a New Zealand number?

Thanks.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,050 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobile phone use - am I being stupid?

If roaming on a UK phone the international code for nz is +64 (area code less the zero) for landlines and drop the zero of the mobile number after the international code.

You might find it cheaper to purchase a 2 degrees Sim card on arrival in NZ. This way you will avoid roaming charges which are generally crippling as you pay for both incoming and outgoing calls. Once you have set up your new number you can advise he cuzzies at home your new number by TXT/SMS which they can save directly into their own cellphone.

Edited: 06 June 2011, 20:44
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,178 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobile phone use - am I being stupid?

The 2 degree option is a goodie. We do the oposite going the other way.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,050 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mobile phone use - am I being stupid?

A hint for future uses is to put the international code of all phone numbers on your mobile phone eg +64 ( NZ) +61 (aust) etc. This means that going forward if you change your sim card from a UK to NZ for example your UK phone numbers would always be available. It takes a little extra time when entering the numbers but after a while it will become second nature.

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
2,844 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mobile phone use - am I being stupid?

Good advice in the previous posts, but they didn't really answer your question.

When ringing a NZ number from an overseas phone you do not have to use the international dialling code, but you may do so if you wish, so the advice to append the full international code to all your contact numbers is a good one.. However, anyone ringing your phone, either from overseas, or even if they are standing right beside you in NZ, must use the full international dialling code, and it will be charged at international calling rates..

Adding the + symbal before the country code is a time saver, as you don't have to worry what the international exchange code is for the country you are in. For example in NZ the international exchange is 00, whereas in Australia it is 0011, and no doubt other countries have different codes.

Getting a local sim card is a good option, however you will need ID, (passport, or drivers license with a photo), and you will need to put a NZ address. I don't know if anyone ever checks the address; I suspect not; however you could use the street address of the hotel you are staying in. It's to do with anti terrorism, but how this will stop terrorists getting their hands on a local SIM card I have no idea.

Tauranga
Level Contributor
330 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mobile phone use - am I being stupid?

ID to get a SIM card? I don't think so. $5.00 at the local service station will get you one.

6. Re: Mobile phone use - am I being stupid?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 07 June 2011, 04:27
Edited: 07 June 2011, 04:27
Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,050 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mobile phone use - am I being stupid?

I got the details wrong in my earlier post hence I have deleted it.

Full details for registration are on the 2 degrees website and can be accessed below

http://www.2degreesmobile.co.nz/welcome

Auckland
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mobile phone use - am I being stupid?

All fantastic advice but there is no requirement to register your SIMcard online. When you buy the 2degrees SIMcard from a local store it is treated like any other transaction. Just hand over your cash, pop your sim in your phone, follow the instructions and you are ready to go. Onine registration is optional.

However it is vitally important that the overseas phone is unlocked for the overseas phone provider otherwise local sims will not work.

If it is not unlocked there are many internet sites that can help you with unlocking. SImply google Unlock and add the model of your phone.

9. Re: Mobile phone use - am I being stupid?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 15:17