We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Auckland & Christchurch in one week? is it doable?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Topic
Auckland & Christchurch in one week? is it doable?

Hello, I'm considering a 7 or 8 day trip to New Zealand.

It's not a lot of time, but we are thinking about starting in Auckland, staying one night then driving south to Rotorua, before proceeding down to catch Wellington to catch a ferry to the South Island and driving to Christchurch for a night or two.

Does this seem do-able or am I being overly ambitious?

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Auckland & Christchurch in one week? is it doable?

Hi

It is doable but quite how enjoyable it would be is another matter unless you like driving.

What time of year will you be visiting - at the moment of course the days are short - light after 7.00 am and dark by 5.30.

Orewa, New Zealand
Level Contributor
330 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Auckland & Christchurch in one week? is it doable?

The drive from Auckland to Christchurch is about 1000km and is approximately 17 hours of driving plus a ferry crossing which takes several hours. Additionally the route misses out many of the most scenic parts of the country.

If it were me and I only had a week but wanted a taste of what NZ had to offer, I would have a day in Auckland then drive to Rotorua for a couple of days fly to Queenstown, have a couple of days there then drive back to Christchurch via the Lindis Pass with an overnight stop at Mt Cook or Tekapo.

Much less driving, much more spectacular scenery.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
36,370 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Auckland & Christchurch in one week? is it doable?

Seriously you are nuts! There is no point in visiting Chch this year unless you are an insurance assessor. Either enjoy the NI - drive to Rotorua, Taupo, Napier, Wellington or fly to Queenstown.

4. Re: Auckland & Christchurch in one week? is it doable?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 06:17