We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to pack?

Cardiff
Level Contributor
145 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
What to pack?

Hi

I am just starting to get prepared for our 2 week stay in New Zealand, taking in both islands on our trip. Followed by a week in Fiji in September of this year.

We are two adults and a 16month old baby. What I'm wondering is what on earth to pack?! I hear the weather is changeable in NZ at this time of year with a fair amount of rain and not too warm and then Fiji will be hot/warm.

My thoughts so far are to take plenty of layers and then obviously summer clothes for Fiji. But packing enough clothes for us all when we are travelling a lot (not more than 2 days in one place) seems an impossible task!

Any advice gratefully received.

Thank You

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
744 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to pack?

For tropical Fiji you will need very little in the way of clothes i.e. cool dress for evening, shorts, t shirts, swimming gear and sarong. If you take cotton you can wash, rinse out and it will dry in minutes therefore limiting the amount you need to carry.

New Zealand is always very changeable but it sounds as if you will be here during the depth of winter so layer up with warm layers (you can buy superb merino clothes for you and your baby when you arrive). You will need something for rainy days also.

Have a great trip.

2. Re: What to pack?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 July 2011, 13:35
Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,843 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to pack?

Septembers weather can be very wet, on the west coast it is usualy the wetest month of the year.

Temperatures may go below 0degrees at night in some places, but general the worst of winter has gone.

Being from Cardiff, then your climate would be similar in many aspects so layers is a good idea.

Fiji wont need so many clothes but in NZ you need to be prepared for when you do walks, sights and activities. How do you intend to travel? if in a renatl car it will be warm in the car so the weather dictates how much time you will spend looking at sights out of the car, if fine enjoy the weather, if wet , you tend to spend less time.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
145 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to pack?

Thanks for the advice. Yes we have hired a car and hope to stop and see the sights as we travel from one place to another.

I've got a far better idea of what to pack for us now and I'm sure we can buy anything we need when we get to NZ. We have tickets for two Wales rugby matches while we are there so will need to be wrapped up warm for standing still for a minimum of 80 minutes!

Very much looking forward to experiencing the Kiwi culture....just wish the flight was shorter!

5. Re: What to pack?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 17:18