We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Franz Josef Hike

Singapore
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Franz Josef Hike

Hi All,

Has anyone done a hike of Franz Josef in winter? I'll be heading there next week, and am just wondering if the weather is suitable for a hike in the glacier?

As it is, the weather is cold, plus being among the glacier probably makes it worse...

Can anyone share their experience of a winter hike? And does it tend to be rainy during this period?

Thanks much!

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,856 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Franz Josef Hike

The weather tends to be more stable during winter, however into September the west Coast enjoys a lot of rain.

The guiding company will provide you with warm jackets and all equipment required to keep you safe and warm.

when the sun is beating down on the ice, you are more likely to get sun burnt as opposed to frozen.

Enjoy your glacier experience

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,430 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Franz Josef Hike

I've done the Fox Glacier helihike in the winter time, and I've freedom walked to the terminal face of both glaciers several times in the winter months, most recently last month. While there, we saw the tour operators leading a group of tourists up the glacier.

The West Coast gets alot of rain, and there's just no way to guess what the weather will do. I suggest you allow at least two nights at the glaciers, so you can reschedule your hike if it's cancelled due to weather.

Singapore
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Franz Josef Hike

thanks all for your feedback.

4. Re: Franz Josef Hike

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 11:17