We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting through New Zealand Customs & Biosecurity

CARSON, CALIFORNIA
Level Contributor
39 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Getting through New Zealand Customs & Biosecurity

I will be traveling to New Zealand from the US in March 2012. This may seem as a crazy question but with the strict rules regarding biosecurity I rather be safe than sorry. Is it best to declare my footwear on the Customs Arrivals Card?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,447 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting through New Zealand Customs & Biosecurity

Only if you've been on farm or a park and/or not cleaned them before arriving. Ordinary day shoes are fine, tramping(hiking) boots and trainers with a deeper tread that can hold dirt are what they are looking for. Clean them thoroughly and you won't been held up getting through.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,891 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting through New Zealand Customs & Biosecurity

If you have any food items or anything that requirs a Yes tick in the appropriate column, then declare. there isnt a problem with declaring things, and find all is well, but to not declare and be found (maybe with a friendly little dog sitting on the ground next to you) then you run the risk of a fine and also delays. I find the 'tp declare' line goes faster tham the very long 'nothing to declare' line. 'To declare' seems to be a lot shorter.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,476 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting through New Zealand Customs & Biosecurity

I suggest you pack your hiking boots near the top of your luggage for easy access, as they'll most likely ask to see them. And of course clean them ahead of time. We're always asked to produce our hiking boots and once they removed a pair to pry some rocks out of the tread. Same goes for hiking poles or other equipment, just make sure it's clean.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,856 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting through New Zealand Customs & Biosecurity

The questions on the declaration are quite specific relating to " sporting goods" and include golf shoes, fishing waders etc - anything that might have soil, grass seeds or algae attached. Ordinary street shoes are not a problem.

CARSON, CALIFORNIA
Level Contributor
39 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting through New Zealand Customs & Biosecurity

Thank you all for replying. I really appreciate the info, can't wait to go.

6. Re: Getting through New Zealand Customs & Biosecurity

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 19:18