We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo travel - best option?

Dublin, Ireland
4 posts
Save Topic
Solo travel - best option?

I'm an "older" adventurous female traveller (48!) and going solo to NZ for 5 weeks next Jan/Feb. The organised trips are very expensive so I'm thinking of travelling around myself - how does Kiwi Experience, Stray Buses & Magic Bus compare - which is the best option? I want to cover most of the nth & Sth Island. I've been told that Kiwi experience is mainly 18 - 25 yr olds. Their schedule suits me best but I don't want to be the only oldie on it! Has anyone any views on this for me or suggestions? Is it difficult/expesnive to get a single room in a hostel/hotel? Would much appreciate!

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo travel - best option?

most back packers accomodation these days offers everything from shared bunk rooms through to private rooms.

48 isnt old and you don't have to party all night every night either. you may be the only one awake whilst travelling as many of them will sleep on the coach whilst travelling which seems a real waste of time.

Sit near the front of the coach to enjoy the scenery at its best.

with the hop on hop off options, you can stay an extra day somewhere if you want to change the group you are with, the next bus will have another group on it which will give you the chance to change tralling companions

Palmerston North
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo travel - best option?

Kiwi Experience caters for all age groups from 20 – 80yrs, on an average 20 – 35yrs

They cater for the more adventurous traveler, so it doesn’t matter what age group you are and you are young at heart Kiwi Experience is for you

Keep in mind that the travelers on Kiwi Experience bus do change every day, so you will experience a great verity of people

Stray Travel caters for all age groups from 18 – 80yrs, on an average 18 – 30yrs

Again they cater for the more adventurous traveler

Magic Traveler caters for all age groups from 20 – 80yrs, on an average 25 – 60yrs. This company is more of a mix age group and still does the adventure activities

I am around the same age as you. Don’t be put off by their age average, when we travelled overseas last year, most of our tours were with a young group of people and we fitted in and had a lot of fun

Enjoy New Zealand and have fun

3. Re: Solo travel - best option?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 12:17