We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glacier walk

Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Glacier walk

My family intends to do a half day glacier walk in december. My youngest daughter is only 9 yr old and only 1.25m tall. Although the minimum age listed on the website says 8 yrs old, after looking at some photos, i was a little apprehensive. Some parts look pretty tricky. Anyone has previous experience doing the trip? Need some advice on this. Tks.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,895 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glacier walk

I have been for a half day hike with a school group of the age 9 year olds. Mopst managed the hike with little difficulty, some returned after doing about half of the walk and returned with a duide back to the terminal face.

every day on the ice is different that is why the proffessional guides are so important to take their advice

Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glacier walk

is it ok to go end dec?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
37,010 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glacier walk

Physical fitness and confidence is more important than merely age or height. Can she walk for 2-3 hours without complaining? It should not be thought of as a scary activity, but a fun challenge.

4. Re: Glacier walk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2013, 10:16
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now