We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Entering New Zealand: Criminal convictions

Narre Warren...
1 post
Save Topic
Entering New Zealand: Criminal convictions

Hi everyone

I am an Australian citizen going to New Zealand for a holiday in December.

I have noticed on the arrival card there is a question asking: Have you been sentenced to 12 months or more in prison?

Now, my partner has been given a 12 month SUSPENDED SENTENCE previously, and I'm not sure if this warrants answering "Yes" on the card? Does anyone know if they are only interested in anyone who has actually spent 12 months or more IN prison?

Any advice or feedback will be very much appreciated. Thank You!

Mentioned in this post
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,810 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Entering New Zealand: Criminal convictions

It might be a good idea for you to write to the Immigration Dept and get that answer from them directly.

Wellington, NZ
Level Contributor
345 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Entering New Zealand: Criminal convictions

As mentioned, you will need to check with NZ immigration. At worst your partner will have to apply for a visitor's visa.

Heres the link:

immigration.govt.nz/branch/SydneyBranchHome/

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Entering New Zealand: Criminal convictions

with any such questions, it is always best to tick the box, then you will need to explain the situation or relavence of the question.

If you fail to answer any question and are found to have entered a dishonost answer (imigration, agriculture etc) then teh likely hood of fines or at worst being turned back is very likely.

check with imigration before comming for your specific question

4. Re: Entering New Zealand: Criminal convictions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 05:17