We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Work Opportunities - Environmental Professional

Derry, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Work Opportunities - Environmental Professional

Like most of the UK/Ireland's under 30's Im planning on heading to New Zealand/Australia for work (long-term residence with possibility of settling down).

My original plan was to head to Australia on a Working Holiday Visa and hopefully get employer sponsored (Unfortunately I do not qualify for General Skilled Migration). There seems to be quite good job prospects in WA and Queensland.

However I had a look through the New Zealand Gov website today and discovered my nominated occupation (Environmental Research Scientist) was on their Long Term Skill Shortage List. This gave left me with a point score of 160, and means I qualify to apply for their 'Work to Residence Scheme' or 'Skilled Migration'.

I was just wondering if anyone could advise on the job prospects for this kind of work in New Zealand, say compared to Australia. I'm educated to MSc level in Environmental Science with just over 3 years of professional experience (Research, Regulation, Policy development etc).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as Its hard to get objective information over the internet.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,895 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Work Opportunities - Environmental Professional

You skill set would most probably best suit Local Government who are responsible for Envirnmental protection.

Do a search for regional Councils in NZ and also for District and City Councils.

Contact them directly with regard to potential emplyment

Derry, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Work Opportunities - Environmental Professional

Thanks for the advice Coaster!

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
746 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Work Opportunities - Environmental Professional

A MSc would possibly get you a technical position but not a science research position in NZ these days. Economic times here are tough so it would be best to establish a relationship with someone already working in the science area at one of the universities or Crown Research Institutes and go from there.

4. Re: Work Opportunities - Environmental Professional

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 03:16