We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jetstar is driving me crazy

mumbai
Level Contributor
185 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Jetstar is driving me crazy

I have booked 3 flights with jetstar - sin-auck, auck queenstown and Christ-sin (via Melbourne) . Every 3-4 days they are sending me mails itinerary changes. Some of them are minute - timing changes. One of them was a day change.

Every time I am minutely analyzing the change to see how it will affect my other bookings. Is this their normal way of functioning?

I am from India, a supposedly third world country and have travelled several low cost here and abroad (air Asia, Air arabia, fly Dubai, Span), not once did I have an itinerary change.

What is it with Jetstar, cannot they just fit dates and time and stick to it instead of sending patronizing emails and asking their customers to adjust their holiday plans.

I havent yet flown the airlines but I am already swearing off it

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Jetstar is driving me crazy

There's an old saying . . "You gets what you pay for". Having said that, I have flown JX domestically many times and never had a problem. What they are like internationally I couldn't say.

mumbai
Level Contributor
185 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jetstar is driving me crazy

I agree David!

I expect to get lower service and no frills but certainly not a constantly upset holiday plan!

As i said, I have traveled several low costs airlines before therefore did not hesitate in booking one again, but it is certainly not worth the grief this one is causing

Singapore
Level Contributor
101 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jetstar is driving me crazy

Hi there!

I booked Jetstar to Auckland for this coming November. They cancelled my flight but didn't inform me about this cancellation. I found it out by myself and when I called them they offered to book me on the next available flight (i.e next day). I didn't take their offer but opted to get a refund instead. They did give me my refund a month later, and I had to spend a bit more money on my Qantas flight. Nonetheless it was a good thing I didn't accept the replacement flight as that flight was also cancelled.

My opinion is that Jetstar was too ambitious in opening their routes to NZ. Due to limited demand they are now cutting down on their routes resulting in mass cancellations.

Do give Jetstar some time to stabilize their supply of routes versus demand. For now, Jetstar is ok for those who have flexible schedules, given its cheap tickets.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,008 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jetstar is driving me crazy

Why then is Jetstar going through this hoopla of announcing big expansion of flights into & within NZ? Yesterday they announced Wellington to Queenstown and Sydney to Queenstown services to begin in December!!

mumbai
Level Contributor
185 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jetstar is driving me crazy

Jetstar is running an airlines not a mom and pop business on the side! We are paying a good amount of hard earned money here!

They need be able to run a route inspite of initial low demand if they have issued tickets or else they shd have not offered it!

For me, NZ is once in a lifetime holiday! I havent yet lost money on Jetstar moody changes(except for expensive trans national calls) but at the rate it is going I might!. It might end up be more expensive than flying Singapore air or Air NZ (whcih unfortunately does not do an India route!)

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,570 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jetstar is driving me crazy

The SIN-AKL route is operated by Jetstar Asia, IATA code 3K. I guess they operate differently from JQ. Although JQ has been operating long haul flights for some time, 3K has just started offering long haul flights this year, so they may be having some issues with their operations.

As I understand it, they only have one plane for the route so if it has to undergo maintenance then they wouldn't be able to offer any flights during the maintenance period. If you're going to fly on a budget airline, don't buy your tickets too far in advance.

Edited: 27 September 2011, 15:54
mumbai
Level Contributor
185 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jetstar is driving me crazy

Buying tickets late defeats the whole purpose of traveling cost where you get deals if you book early :-) Ah well we live and learn

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
62 posts
1,089 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jetstar is driving me crazy

Agree. The only time I flew Jetstar, they cancelled a flight about 4 hours before departure. That's it, just cancelled. Was on the phone for 90 minutes and had to argue to get on another flight...

Sadly, I recently flew on Air New Zealand and found them to be going the same way, which surprised me. I flew with them a few years back and they were excellent. They now have that many different classes of travel that the flight attendants couldn't keep track of who was entitled to what - I had to call them back to get my meal. Everything is at extra cost. A little too much of the "laidback, cool/funky" airline and not enough of the actual functioning efficient airline. I would be surprised if they stay in the Star Alliance network for much longer - their service was that bad.

Although I am not a fan as such, I will be flying across the ditch with Qantas from now on.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Jetstar is driving me crazy

I was booked on a Jetstar flight the day after the 2011 earthquake. Jetstar offloaded all their passengers off the plane and loaded the Qantas passengers on. They offered me a seat on another plane 4 days later. With accommodation at a premium, that was impossible. It was only after my daughter spent 4 hours on the phone and DEFAT got involved that our party was given seats on the original flight.

Edited: 29 September 2011, 00:42
Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
349 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Jetstar is driving me crazy

If it doesn't really matter to you what time or even what day you will fly to your destination, and your happy enough subjecting yourself to poor service and total indifference in order to save a few bucks - then Jetstar is the airline for you.

For anyone else, find another carrier.