We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North & South Island in Two Weeks

Seoul, South Korea
1 post
Save Topic
North & South Island in Two Weeks

Hello everyone,

I am planning to visit New Zealand for Christmas and New Years (two weeks). Four of us (adults) will be landing in Auckland and I was wondering what you suggest for seeing the best of both islands. The only plans so far are a hotel near a black sand beach (recommendations welcome) for the first two days. Then a trip to Matamata, Rotorua and Taupo (two days). Then I was thinking of either 1. driving back to Auckland and flying to South Island or 2. slowly meandering down through the north and south islands. Anyway, I would greatly appreciate your input, suggestions and recommendations.

Singapore
Level Contributor
168 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North & South Island in Two Weeks

Most of the visitors are thinking 2 weeks is enough to view all the scenic scenery in NZ, but is wrong.....2 weeks is too short for traveling around the both islands. I think you should give up one island and focus on 1 island. South Island is the destination can really see the NZ scenery, why not direct fly to Christchurch.

Try to review some of the posts in this forum, you can get more information and start to do your own itinerary.

Four of you will be great number to have fun in NZ, and can share the cost equally if rent a car and stay in budget motel.

To find hotel, you can refer to here http://www.wotif.com/.

Check my blog may give you some background....

Regards

Heroes19

http://newzealand-paradise.blogspot.com/

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North & South Island in Two Weeks

Hi

Two weeks is not really enough time to see both islands. You could as you say meander slowly down but I would suggest that you fly - you could fly from Rotorua which would avoid your having to back track to Auckland

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,363 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North & South Island in Two Weeks

Welcome to the forum :)

As mentioned, two weeks is not sufficient time to visit both islands. Best to stay in the North Island or fly down to Christchurch or Queenstown and tour from there.

There are many itineraries on the forum. Take a look through them and see what appeals.

happy planning :)

4. Re: North & South Island in Two Weeks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 18:18