We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Routeburn Track

uk
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Topic
Routeburn Track

Hi,

We would like to walk part of the routeburn track, but am confused as to which bit to start from?!

We will be in te anau, and queenstown, I have read you can pick it up from glenorchy is this the bit that takes you to the route burn falls? Or am I totally in the wrong direction?!

Help!

Thanks

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
349 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Routeburn Track

Here is the track description.

…govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/…

The Routeburn falls are at the Glenorchy end of the track. These are probably not as spectacular as the Earland falls, which can be reached from the Divide (Te Anau end) in a longish day hike.

Why not do the whole track?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,927 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Routeburn Track

You can do a day walk from either end. On the DoC website there are links to the various shuttle bus providers if you don't have a car or wish to walk the whole track. If you start at the Divide, a pleasant half day trip, perhaps on your way to/from Milford Sound, is the Key Summit round trip.

uk
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Routeburn Track

Thanks for your advise, If we had more time I would love to do the whole thing! Will have a look at the doc site.

Many Thanks

New Zealand
Level Contributor
70 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Routeburn Track

Have you done this trip yet? We have just finished and loved it. Not being too intrepid, we paid to go on a semi-guided trip with the Milton Tramping Club, staying in the DOC huts. Google them. They saved us $4000 for our family of 4 when compared to the Ultimate Hikes group.

This is a beautiful walk and well worth the effort. Hire the gear if you need to - our raincoats were $5 per day from Queenstown and although not needed, I didn't have to worry. I have posted a review.

Do the whole walk! Hard to say which is the best end to come in from - I probably think the Routeburn Shelter end (Glenorchy).

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,927 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Routeburn Track

Ralphey, was it a "legal" trip? Anybody who charges a fee for services is required to pay for a DOC concession. If they didn't they might not appreciate you advertising their services.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
70 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Routeburn Track

Absolutely legal. No profit involved and they are about the only ones able to provide a group experience. Look at the site. Well above board.....promise!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Routeburn Track

We are considering 3 day hike on the Routeburn Track.

Can anyone advise whether they have done this with children. We have an able bodied 12 year old girl. She is not particularly intrepid but is fit enough to play basketball etc. Any thoughts?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,315 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Routeburn Track

Yep, the Milton Rotary Club leads several walks per year with permission from DOC. The club is required to charge just enough to cover their costs - though they do also accept donations :)

Burlon - welcome to the forum :)

I know several families which have hiked the Milford and/or Routeburn with pre-teens. A fantastic family experience - just don't overload the youngsters with too much weight to carry and they should be fine. As with many who aren't seasoned hikers, ensure they have good, well broken in footwear. Blistered feet will soon become a misery for all.

Enjoy :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Routeburn Track

Great advice thank you

New Zealand
Level Contributor
70 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Routeburn Track

Go for it. We did this walk in January with a 12 and a 14 year old. Piece of cake for them - they sprinted it, with their packs. They had to carry everything they needed plus their fair share of the food (about 2kg). The boots were most important as were well fitted packs. Everything can be hired in Queenstown. Go with Milton Tramping Club. Great fun.