We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to spend Christmas Night

ljubljana, slovenia
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How to spend Christmas Night

We'll be travelling from Bay of Islands (Paihia) to Coromandel (Whitianga) on 24th of December and intend to stay on Christmas Night in Auckland or somewhere close (as it is almost in the middle between above mentioned places). I wonder if there is anything going on in Auckland on Christmas Eve or everybody just stays at home with family, enjoying Christmas dinner? Well, I guess Christmas dinner can be found in some restaurants, but I think that could be quite expensive. So, the best is to buy some food (and bottle of fine wine) and stay in hotel/motel room or apartment and enjoy our own Christmas Eve celebration. Am I right? In this case, it is not important where we stay overnight – in Auckland or in some smaller place? I have to add that we'll be staying thtree days in Auckland before going to Bay of Islands, so this time we'll be just passing.

I have a not very attractive experience: Christmas Eve in town La Rioja in NW Argentina few years ago, when we (my wife and I) celebrated sitting in the town park, having only sendwich (OK, and beer too) and listening to christmas songs from nearest church, together with some local homeless people. As a matter of fact - it was interesting in a way, but I realy wouldn't like to repeat it.

Thenks in advance for any advice or comment.

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to spend Christmas Night

Christmas eve in NZ is mostly spent at home with family. Christmas Eve itself is not a big deal. The kids go to bed, and when they are (hopefully) asleep the parents fill their Xmas stockings, (or sacks), and go to bed.

On the morning of Christmas Day (25th) the kids will be up at daybreak (about 5am) unpacking their toys, so not much sleep from then on.

In our home we have a Xmas tree, under which are placed all the presents other than what are left in the kids stockings. These are distributed before Xmas Dinner, which we have at lunch time. That pretty muich wraps up the day. After we have eaten & drunk our fill we retire to bed for the rest of the day.

THis would be a fairly typical Xmas day, although many folk have Xmas dinner at night, and a lot will have a BBQ on the beach . As it's summer there are more choices than in the Northern Hemisphere.

Most hotels and restaurants will have Xmas dinner menues, either at lunch time, dinner time, or both.

The following day (26th, Boxing Day) is spent recovering from the hangover, eating what's left of the food, and trying to work our who gave which presents to whom. By this time the kids will have fallen off their bikes/skateboards/etc, most of the cheap toys will be broken, and by the 27th life will have returned to normal.

If you are staying in the central city I would be inclined to head down to the waterfront and see whats going on. You aren't likely to find many homeless people, but you might get to sing some Xmas carols, and there will be plenty of beer.

Have a good one.

2. Re: How to spend Christmas Night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 06:18