We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doubtful Sound Day Cruise

Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Topic
Doubtful Sound Day Cruise

I've found 2 companies that do day cruises in Doubtful Sound "Real Journeys" and "Doubtful Sound Cruises". Are there any others? All recommendations would be appreciated by those who have been.

Thanks

Brisbane
Level Contributor
62 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Doubtful Sound Day Cruise

Am also interested in hearing replies to this post.

There only seem to a be a couple of day cruises available.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Doubtful Sound Day Cruise

To my knowledge, that's it. The logistics of getting to/from Doubtful limit the options.

I have overnighted Doubtful Sound with Real Journeys and with Fiordland Expeditions and they are both excellent.

It's a gorgeous part of the planet, enjoy :)

Brisbane
Level Contributor
62 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Doubtful Sound Day Cruise

Thanks again Wanaka.

We were just planning on doing a day trip on Doubtful. And like you said, I believe Real Journeys are the main player. There is another company called doubtfulsoundcruise.com but I haven't been able to find a great deal of review of that. It a much smaller company than Real Journeys.

You helped me out with my itinerary a little while ago.. just letting you know we have decided to forfeit going to Hanmer Springs in order to spend another night in Nelson/Golden Bay area.

So we are thinking one night in Takaka, one night Kaiteriteri and one night in Nelson - then head to Kaikoura. Does this sound like a good plan to you?

Nat

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
492 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Doubtful Sound Day Cruise

We went with Real Journeys and it was excellent. It includes the trip down to the power station which in itself is an experience. I found the whole day to be very relaxing as you're being driven/boated everywhere so you can just sit back and take it all in.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Doubtful Sound Day Cruise

Yep, sounds like a good plan. And I would opt for Abel Tasman over Hanmer any day of the week.

Happy travels :)

Alexandra, New...
Level Contributor
39 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Doubtful Sound Day Cruise

We recently did the trip with Real Journeys and can highly recommend it - the included trip to the power station at West Arm is a bonus.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
62 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Doubtful Sound Day Cruise

Thank you for your replies. I think Real Journeys is the winner.

Cheers.

8. Re: Doubtful Sound Day Cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 15:42