We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

camper van in New Zealand

London
Level Contributor
18 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
camper van in New Zealand

Hello there,

I have hired a campervan in Jan from Queenstown, we have booked into some sites every 2-3 nights. I was just wondering whether you were allowed to stop in places that are not designated as actual camping sites? I know there are DOC sites but I mean just stopping somewhere because it is beautiful and secluded?

We have got a shower and toilet on board

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: camper van in New Zealand

You are only able to stay at designated campsites. If there is no sign saying camping permitted, then don't.

Sadly many of our beautiful and secluded spots are covered in human waste due to irresponsible camping. There is now a $200 fine for illegal camping.

www.camping.org.nz/new-zealand/where-to-camp/

safe travels :)

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: camper van in New Zealand

I understand that it is over $400.00 in many places if you stop illegally.

Too many people have been irresponsible and have spoilt our clean green image.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
35 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: camper van in New Zealand

The New Zealand Government passed the Freedom Camping Act on 29 August 2011, and some camper hirers seem to be promoting freedom camping on the basis of having a "certified self-contained camper".

It is clear that you cannot just stop and stay overnight as you describe, there are strict penalties as mentioned above if you break local bye-laws, or park in unauthorised places.

No matter how good you are there will always be others who abuse the countryside . There are plenty of camp sites around, with a range of costs related to facilities offered, including some which are free.

As a seasoned motorhomer across Europe, Scandinavia and Canada I do not support or encourage free or wild camping, as it can spoil beautiful scenery with just one thoughtless act.

Here's a link to the Freedom Camping legislation, there are also leaflets available from Tourist Information Sites.

…govt.nz/act/…DLM3742815.html

4. Re: camper van in New Zealand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2012, 10:16