We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good reasons to play Cape Kidnappers golf, please!

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
30 posts
239 reviews
Save Topic
Good reasons to play Cape Kidnappers golf, please!

My husband is having a crisis about paying £300+ for a game of golf at CK when we're in NZ in January. I say go for it, but can any golfers out there please tell him just why this is a course he has to play? Thanks!

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good reasons to play Cape Kidnappers golf, please!

It is a really stunning course, one of the top 5 in NZ probably.....

It partly depends on what level of golfer your husband is aswell though, as there are lots of great courses around the country that are not in the same price bracket. eg. you can play lots of great courses for around $50 a round that are equally stunning in their own right.

Havelock North, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Good reasons to play Cape Kidnappers golf, please!

Cape Kidnappers is absolutely spectacular. It is ranked #33 in the world by Golf Magazine and is one of the highest ranked courses in the Southern Hemisphere (only Royal Melbourne and Kingston Heath rank higher), and they just hosted the Pres Cup at Royal. The views are amazing. The first time I played there I was blown away...and they only play about 30 players per day. The adjoining lodge is spectacular too!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,251 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good reasons to play Cape Kidnappers golf, please!

It is a spectacular course, your husband will have no regrets BUT it would have to be a fine clear day to be able to take in the magnificent setting.

Napier, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good reasons to play Cape Kidnappers golf, please!

hi Jude665 I havent played golf myself for many years but I have done some checking wiith friends that have played Cape Kidnappers,I would be interested to know who quoted your DH 300+pounds for one round? the 3 guys ive spoken to all tell me the price is about $150nzd per round for those who are members of other clubs and approx 300nzd for those not affilliated to a club, we are wondering just what hubby would get for his 300pounds. If the quote was for transport to and from the course,club hire,green fee's and a caddy ect then that would be justification however if all he gets is 18holes then that price is way over the top,He would find it much cheaper to book the day or so before once you get to Napier, the views im told are fantastic but hubby needs to way up the price of a round on other Hawkes Bay courses,

If he wishes to play elsewhere I am happy to help him find a cheaper alternative

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Good reasons to play Cape Kidnappers golf, please!

Your friends must have played during the winter at a special rate as the high season rates are as follows:

NZ residents: $215

Overseas visitors: $385

Cart hire p/p: $32

Clubs: $70

Don't forget to add the 15% GST !!

Total for 1 overseas golfer during summer: NZ$560

It is expensive but definitely one of THE best golf experiences in the world. If you are taking a day out of an NZ holiday for golf, why not play something really special and not just any course that you can find in most European or North American towns??

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
30 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good reasons to play Cape Kidnappers golf, please!

Thank you very much, everyone, for these views; I've passed them all along! We have three nights booked in North Havelock so I think we'll wait till we're there and see what the weather is like (thanks for that tip...). But we'll keep an eye on the tee times, too, in case they look like being booked out.

I must say we baulk a bit at having to pay 79% more than 'NZ citizens' (not even 'NZers affiliated to other clubs' which is the distinction made by most other courses, such as Terrace Downs and Wairakei, who charge around 40% extra for us 'furriners'). Neither here in Turkey nor in the UK does nationality affect what you are charged to play a round of golf, so we're just not used to this kind of thing. However, when in Rome....... . I have a feeling we'll bear it and will be out there for a wonderful experience... after all, man (and woman) cannot live by wine and gannets alone!

Thanks again, all.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,018 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good reasons to play Cape Kidnappers golf, please!

The course is a private course and owned by the same guy who owns Kauri Cliffs up north. He is an American billionaire who has fallen in love with NZ . He lives I think in New York and has bequeathed about $100 million worth of quality art to NZ when he dies. He also owns a couple of wineries in NZ as well.

As a private course he can charge what he likes and he obviously gets the monies wanted or else he wouldnt charge it.

We are extremely spoilt for quality golf courses in NZ and we pay peanuts for the use of them compared to overseas.

Cape Kidnappers and kauri cliffs are both outside my budget for 4 hours entertainment I am afraid.

Tamworth, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good reasons to play Cape Kidnappers golf, please!

Played on a cloudy day and did have rain which detracts for the views. Didn't quite live up to expectation and (rating!) front nine ok back nine definitely the star. Greens great. If hubby is keen golfer who enjoys playing top courses as part of his things to do then it should be on the list for own assessment. Would also recommend a trip to Kinlock at Taupo which although the greens were cored definitely better than expected.

9. Re: Good reasons to play Cape Kidnappers golf, please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2012, 10:16