We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around on our own South Island?

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
70 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Getting around on our own South Island?

Hello -

We have only a few days to visit the South island and were thinking of flying into Christchurch and out of Queenstown, using train and bus transportation to connect between the two.

I haven't had time to do much research so I'm wondering if this is a reasonable plan? When we make stops (via the bus) will there be access to taxis or will we want to have a rental care lined up?

Sorry to be so basic with my question and I'll be grateful for any suggestions!

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,891 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around on our own South Island?

How many days do you have?

You may be better flying directly to Queenstown, do a trip to Milford sound, then fly back from Queentown after you have done local sights etc.

There is no comprehensive train service in NZ to meet your needs of a tour of the south island.

If you spnt time in Christchurch, you could do a day trip to Greymouth from Christchurch using the Tranz Alpine train

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,648 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around on our own South Island?

Welcome to the Kiwi forum :)

Often a 6 day car rental is less expensive than 3 one day rentals.

How many days do you plan to visit?

Which month will you be here?

The more you tell us, the better we can help you :)

3. Re: Getting around on our own South Island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2012, 10:18