We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naked Bus

Auckland Region...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Naked Bus

Never travel with this company.

The ticket I bought from Rotorua to Auckland was listed on the site to cost only $19.90. However it cost me a further $5 to confirm it and protect myself from cancellation which I thought was ok seeing as the ticket was still quite cheap. However after confirming the payment the ticket came out at the wrong time, I needed to catch the bus at 1pm, as selected on the site and shown before confirming the ticket. However after payment the time showed 7.55am. At that time I was not to worried and thought it was just a server problem and went to ring to find out how to have the problem fixed. After calling the expensive 0900 number and wasting more money, just to get an electronic response, I found out that I would have to pay a further $5 to transfer my ticket, plus the confirmation and protection fees again. All up the $19 ticket cost me almost $40 and when I applied for a refund all they did was send me section 1.4 of the terms and conditions which did not state any of the problems listed above and did not at all resolve the issue. This company needs to review the fair trade act (1986) DO NOT TRAVEL WITH THIS COMPANY

112 replies to this topic
Rotorua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
55 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Naked Bus

I have booked a trip from Rotorua to Auckland airport, for myself and hubbie on April 30th, 2012. Not long after I booked I got a text message to say check my time of departing, nearer the time, as it has changed. I did find this a little worrying as we are flying out later that day. I ask myself now, are they reliable??

Best email them and see how I get on, eh!

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Naked Bus

You get what you pay for. The cheaper the more chances of a poor experience. It's very simple.

Rotorua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
55 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Naked Bus

I shall report on my experience on my return. Have spoken to a neighbour and her elderly mother travels from Auckland to Rotorua return on a regular basis and has never had a problem. So fingers crossed.

I always use Intercity but when I was doing the booking I decided to go back a screen to double check I had picked the right time and when I went forward to the next page again it said these seats are no longer available. So I got the huff and decided to use Nakedbus. We are budget travellers so expect no frills, just like it to get us there on or near the time scheduled.

Coimbatore, India
1 post
Save Reply
14. Re: Naked Bus

I booked our entire itinery with naked bus service in both island and extremely satisied with their services.very punctual, drivers are very friendly,and very careful. My appreciation for one driver -Hamilton to Auckland service- who saw smoke on a dust bin caused by a cigarette but by a negligent traveller went inside the bus station brought water and put out the fire.I will always remember the trip to Queenstown to milord the driver was so friendly,and made every moment unforgettable with his commentary- the best english narration I have ever heard in my entire NZ trip. My advice to avoid any mishappenings is to book online -check the timings before booking.and stay exactly in the place on the tickets atleast 10 minutes before the time mentioned.Note the bus will leave exactely on dot not a second earlier or later. that is what I have noticed.I there is a change in their service they promptly send a message on your mobile.

Leuven, Belgium
Level Contributor
3 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Naked Bus

We've been very happy with the Naked Bus. We booked several tickets, through their website. It is always very clear and straightforward. Never a doubt. We've had very nice drivers, they were always very friendly and helpful. We were cycling through New Zealand so we had to take the bikes on the bus from time to time. It was never a problem, which can't be said about some other companies.

Pro tip: book you ferry ticket through nakedbus.com, way cheaper than the official site, and you get the exact same thing: a ticket on the ferry.

16. Re: Naked Bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2013, 20:44

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,665 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Naked Bus

I was very amused when I booked a seat on the Tranz Coastal via Naked Bus, at a discount, and received their e-ticket saying something like " your bus will look like this:...." and attached was a picture of ..... The train!

18. Re: Naked Bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 August 2012, 02:35

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,399 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Naked Bus

Having an 0900 number as one of the methods of contact is part of this business model and the reasons for this are explained in post 16.

To say it is criminal and disrespectful may be slightly unfair and less than accurate.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
533 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Naked Bus

With respect SIBill, I prefaced my paragraph with the words, "I believe..." It is clearly an opinion piece, not a statement of fact. So by definition, it may be unfair, perhaps even unreasonable but it cannot be 'less than accurate' It doesn't claim to be factual.

One could take you to task for your statement in another thread, "Free camping is now banned in most areas in New Zealand"

No its not. "Freedom Camping" is regulated under Local Authority bylaws in many areas. There is no restriction against the cost of camping, free or otherwise. For example, New Zealand Motor Caravan Association list a plethora of free or koha POP camping sites across the country.

Anyway, lets not snipe at each other.

Peace

Edited: 16 May 2012, 09:24
Reply to: Naked Bus
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted