We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Supermarket loyalty cards

cheshire
Level Contributor
380 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Supermarket loyalty cards

We've done several road trips in USA and have discovered that they often have loyalty card schemes which differentiate the price charged to holders for many items. We've often picked these cards up and made significant savings on our self catering. We're wondering whether there are chains in New Zealand offering similar schemes.

Also we've seen that several supermarket chains advertise specials on the net. Can these coupons be picked up in the stores?Obviously, we won't be lugging a printer half way round the world.

Any suggestions welcome.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,139 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Supermarket loyalty cards

There are two schemes that I know of - Woolworths/Countdown has the "Onecard" but I think others use the retailer-wide FlyBuys card. AFAIK online specials are available instore. I seldom shop online so I don't follow such things.

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Supermarket loyalty cards

There are 2 main supermarket groups - the 1st one is Foodtown, Woolworths & Countdown - by the time you come they will almost all be branded as Countdown. They have a store card called 'Onecard', which you can obtain by filling in a simple form in store, which will give you small discounts off some items in store. These supermarkets also offer petrol discount vouchers if you spend a certain amount, which can be used at Shell or Gull stations.

The other group is Pak n Save & New World. Pak n Save is supposed to be the cheapest and doesn't have any card system, New World offers Fly Buys, but this is not a card that you can really use as a temporary visitor, it doesn't give in store discounts, just points that can gradually accumulate to be used to buy stuff online.

So the Countdown Onecard will be the one to go for if anything.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,388 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Supermarket loyalty cards

New World has a coupon card, but I don't know if they hand them out on request. They used to be mailed. You could always ask. You would need one for the South island, one for the North island.

cheshire
Level Contributor
380 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Supermarket loyalty cards

Thanks Andychef and wanakaLakes

We had picked up on Pak'n'Save and New World. Thanks for clarifying point with Pak n Save and New World. Just like here there's no quick fix answer, but at least we've got a shortcut to our homework. Don't aim to spend the entire trip in supermarkets;} but will check out the Countdown group as well as Pak n Save.

Rotorua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
228 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Supermarket loyalty cards

And so you can compare to UK stores

Countdown = Asda or Tesco

Pak n Save = Kwik Save/Netto/Aldi

New World is more like an old fashioned Safeway. In the South Island we found New World to be better than ours here in the North Island

6. Re: Supermarket loyalty cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2013, 10:18