We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

macbook air and personal hotspot

Berkeley, California
9 posts
Save Topic
macbook air and personal hotspot

I will be in New Zealand for the month of March and part of April and traveling by RV. I am planning on buying a Macbook Air to bring with me and have been looking for information on tethering and creating a personal hot spot so I don't have to hang around MacDonalds to check my email and write on my travel blog. I know that Vodafone is the company connected with wifi and mifi but have been unable to get the information I need. Does anybody have any experience with this? Thanks. Kathy

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
3,068 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: macbook air and personal hotspot

Both Vodafone and Telecom ( and other telcos such as 2 degrees) offer 3G data services. To use any of these services you will need a 3G modem, which can be a cell phone capable of being "tethered" either by USB, or wirelessly (a personal 'Hotspot"), or a dedicated 3G modem, either USB or wireless.

Don't rely on being able to tether your existing phone. I am currently having issues with a dual sim phone I purchased in Australia. Although the specs imply that it should be capable of connecting to NZ networks, I have so far failed to acheive this, after 2 weeks of trying. Not the sort of hassel you want on holiday.

Your best bet would be to buy a modem when you arrive in NZ . Have a look at the Telecom site for prices etc. telecom.co.nz/internet/…

The telecom network gives the best coverage outside urban areas, but even so, there are large slices of NZ where there is no coverage..

Telecom uses WCDMA, whereas Vodafone uses GSM. GSM is globaly more common, but WCDMA is used in parts of USA. 2 Degrees use the Vodafone network outside main urban areas.

It is possible that any 3g modem you buy for use in NZ will not work outside of NZ.

Good luck.

2. Re: macbook air and personal hotspot

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2013, 10:33