We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My 13 day itinerary--please comment

Surprise, Arizona
Level Contributor
64 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
My 13 day itinerary--please comment

I love the TA forums, and have used comments here to develop my itinerary. Any suggestions/comments are welcome.

Arrive Queenstown from Sydney Sep 30- 3 nights

Milford Sound trip Oct 2

Coach to Wanaka Oct 3

Coach to Fox Glacier Oct 4 - 2 nights

Coach to Greymouth and TranzAlpine Train to CC Oct 6 - 2 nights

Fly to Rotorura Oct 8 - 2 nights

Coach to Auckland via Waitomo Caves Oct 10 - 4 nights

All day trip to Bay of Islands

Depart for US on Oct 14.

Would it be smart to add another full day at Queenstown and eliminate one in Auckland? (we currently have 2 - one of which will be spent at Milford Sound). Our flights into Queenstown and out of Auckland are set...everything else is flexible.

We will have spent 9 days in Australia...3 snorkeling the GBR prior to arriving in NZ. We are active retirees in our 60s.

Thanks!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My 13 day itinerary--please comment

You have planned well :)

And yes, 4 nights in Auckland seems a bit excessive. Queenstown has loads of activities to enjoy - you could do a winetour, a 4WD tour to enjoy LOTR scenery, TSS Earnslaw and so much more.

Plus I wonder how much you would see in a one day Bay of Islands tour? I would suggest at least one night there?

Anyhow, looks like a terrific trip - enjoy :)

Surprise, Arizona
Level Contributor
64 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My 13 day itinerary--please comment

Thanks for your reply...my planning has benefited from all of the previous q&a!

We would have two full days in Queenstown...one for Milford and one for the TSS Earnslaw and exploring the town...I had planned one more, but when I read about Wanaka, decided that was a can't miss stop!

We'd have 3 full days in Auckland if I stick to my original plan...I like not moving too often, so that was the reason for the one day trip to BoI. I am a water nut...the photos of the BoI are stunning...but maybe Oct 11 is too early in the Spring for that trip? If one day in Auckland is sufficient, I could do the one day BoI trip, and add a day in Queenstown.

This is the one day tour that sounded interesting to me:

graylinetours.co.nz/tours/11X/Bay-of-Islands…

There's some time in Paihia to explore a bit, and a 3 hour cruise of the bay.

Thank you for your response! I know this is early, but I enjoy the planning (almost) as much as the trip :)

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My 13 day itinerary--please comment

The one day BOI tour looks good - all you need is fine weather.

And yes, I agree, planning a trip is half the fun of any travel.

have a great visit and please return afterwards and let us know how it goes :)

Ahipara, New Zealand
Level Contributor
8 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My 13 day itinerary--please comment

Head to Cape Reinga but not from Bay of Islands as this is a long day and expensive. Take a coach from Kaitaia, the Far North is beautiful! Sand Safarisis the company that goes to Cape Reinga, local guides..

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My 13 day itinerary--please comment

Your tour to the Bay of Islands looks OK but could you use one of the nights in Auckland and stay in the Bay of Islands???

Check out the tours on the Auckland part of Trip Advisor and you may find a small tour group that would show you so much more of the North of Auckland and also have a night staying up there.

6. Re: My 13 day itinerary--please comment

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 20:23