We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel in July

New Jersey
Level Contributor
118 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Travel in July

I am traveling to NZ in late July with my family. I am staying in Auckland for 1 day and then driving to Rotorua and then back to Auckland for an early flight. We,ll be there for 3 days total. Is it difficult to drive back to Auckland after dark? Is it typically icy? What time does it generally get dark at that time of the year. What can I expect for temperatures? Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
Rotorua
Rotorua
Rotorua District, New Zealand
Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel in July

Hi there

It wouldn't typically by icy on the route from Rotorua to Auckland - but you would be better off doing the journey in daylight if possible.

It is about a 3 hour drive, and sunset at that time of year is about 5.30pm.

Mentioned in this post
Rotorua
Rotorua
Auckland
Auckland
Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel in July

I would not suggest driving that route after dark.

July is mid winter and it may be very cold, could be raining and there may even be ice on the roads early morning and very late evening.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,859 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel in July

Whilst Auckland's July temperatures are not usually freezing cold the same cannot be said for Rotorua as it is further south, inland and not near the sea. Because of that overnight temperatures can get very frosty on clear nights. The roads can be icy in the morning though not likely icy until late at night.

It will be dark by 5:30pm and daytime temperatures can be anything between perhaps 8 deg Celcius and 15 deg Celcius. The wind, however, can be very chilly so you need warm jackets.

Mentioned in this post
Rotorua
Rotorua
New Jersey
Level Contributor
118 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel in July

Thank you for your advice. I will definitely make sure that I can return to Auckland before dark.

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
37,528 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel in July

I take tours to Hamilton & Rotorua every year in July and we have struck mostly clear cold weather. When showing my photos to the next years group every one always comments on the blue sky. Be aware that NZ rural highways are unlit and often one lane in each driection with no median barrier. You won't hit motorway until about 45 minutes south of Auckland ( the Bombay Hils).

Mentioned in this post
Hamilton
Hamilton
Waikato Region, New Zealand
Rotorua
Rotorua
Auckland
Auckland
6. Re: Travel in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 21:14