We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hanmer Springs and Skiing Itinerary

Brisbane
Level Contributor
262 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hanmer Springs and Skiing Itinerary

My friend and I are planning a girls trip for about 5 to 7 days.

We are not great drivers so don't want to venture too far from christchurch. I have done the sth island driving holiday before.

We are going end of july/early august.

Can someone pls suggest as easy itinerary?

Maybe christchurch to hanmer springs - stop by winery (pls suggest) - back to chrischurch - go skiing somewhere for 2 days

Which ski resort is better? hanmer springs or potter's?

is it better to go to hanmer spring and spent 3 days there inc 1 day skiing and drive back via kaikorua?

pls suggest some activities.

also, does anyone know of day tours to mt cook from christchurch via plan/helicopter? and can we go on a boat tour of the glaciers in winter? too dangerous? is it too far to take a scenic flight to glaciers from christchurch?

maybe we should ski at mt hutt/methven?

Thanks

Waikato River Explorer
Boat Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours
Sail Barbary
Boat Tours, Eco Tours
Bravado 3
Boat Tours, Fishing Charters & Tours
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
37,606 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hanmer Springs and Skiing Itinerary

Mt Hutt would definitely be the better place to go skiing from Chch, either as a day trip, or with ON stay in Methven. There are shuttle bus services that will take you directly to the ski field in the morning and drop you to your motel in Methven in the evening.

Unfortunately there are no scheduled airline services to Mt Cook these days & I think chartering a plane or helicopter would be VERY expensive. 7 days is not long but you could spend 2 days on a trip to Mt Cook & have time for a few short walks. Unfortunately the Tasman Lake will be frozen by June so the boat trip does not operate. Then return to Chch and spend 2-3 days skiing and a day trip to Hanmer Springs.

www.letsgo.co.nz/zones/detail_activity.asp…

Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hanmer Springs and Skiing Itinerary

Hanmer Springs Ski area has a new beginners tow for 2012 season, rest of skifield is intermediate/advanced. Hot Pools, mountain biking, quad bikes, rafting and bush walking are other pursuits to keep you going for more than 1 day in Hanmer. Definately try Pegasus Winery for restaurant meal in Waipara - wins many awards.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
262 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hanmer Springs and Skiing Itinerary

just a quick update..

we're taking the kids instead 1x 6y.o and 2 x 3y.o from july 2nd to july 9th but we arrive midnight and depart 7am so we lose 2 days.

Mt Hutt has a great deal for kids ski free, stay free, eat, free hire free and travel free.

However, I am struggling to book accommodation. It's expensive and there aren't that many places to stay. I guess it's just nothing like Queenstown...a lot more to choose from and much more affordable. But skiing in queenstown is expensive and it's such a trek up to the mountains. I also don't think we have time as we'd lose another whole day in driving.

Also, we would love to go hiking, maybe a day trip to mt cook or just mt somers etc but will it be icy? we hiked mt cook years ago in august and it was actually quite dangerous and very slippery even on flat surface but it was only about 15mins before we reached the glaciers. From what I remember it's certainly not suitable for young kids and we definifitely couldn't carry them!

What is Methven like? are there any smaller ski fields that offer a nice on mountain stay for families?

We want to be close to the snow so if the kids don't want to ski, it's not a trek to go back to the hotel....as I imagine just a few hrs each day is enough for them.

thanks

4. Re: Hanmer Springs and Skiing Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 20:07