We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rotorua and south island

Lisbon, Portugal
4 posts
Save Topic
Rotorua and south island

we will stay 3 days in Rotorua and take a plane for 5 days in south island.

Our purpose is to see landscape and learn Maori's culture. We are lost trying to find the best places to visit in this short period. Can you please advise us on the best places to visit.

Thanks

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rotorua and south island

If you are in Auckland a visit to our Auckland Museum and to take part in the Maori Experience is a must.

If you are looking for a Maori tour in Auckland contact Time Unlimited www.newzealandtours.travel. there are also others, look at Things to Do on Trip Advisor and go to Tours.

Will let the local Rotorua expert tell you what is best to visit there.

Rotorua New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,517 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rotorua and south island

Information on Rotorua can be found on www.rotoruaNZ.com.

A good place to start is the Rotorua Museum.

Kuirau Park (thermal) and Ohinemutu Maori Village are cost free places to visit in the city as is Whakarewarewa Forest for walks of varying lengths.

Waiotapu and Waimungu Valley are my recommendations for thermal valleys and Mitai, Tamaki or Te Po for Maori cultural evenings.

Also consider the Agrodome, Polynesian Spa, Skyline gondola and luge' Paradise Valley Nature park, Rainbow Springs Nature park ( can be added to Mitai package)

The I site is always a good start if you get a helpful and knowledgeable staff member answering your questions.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rotorua and south island

Fly Rotorua to Queenstown http://grabaseat.co.nz/

You can easily fill all 5 days in Queenstown, the adventure capital of the world http://www.queenstownnz.co.nz/

and while there also visit Wanaka, Arrowtown and Milford Sound

Edited: 21 February 2012, 23:42
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
30,938 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rotorua and south island

An alternative to staying 5 nights in & around Queenstown is to spend 2-3 nights in QTN then rent a car and drive from QTN to Wanaka-Mt Cook-Lake Tekapo-Christchurch over 2 or 3 days & enjoy the landscape. Fly back to AKL from CHC.

UK
Level Contributor
422 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rotorua and south island

I agree with ValGee's suggestions, and would like to add Mt Tarawera which is a great trip on a clear day. You can get there by 4WD trip or by helicopter (or both, one there and the other back).

Bangalore
Level Contributor
14 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rotorua and south island

Hi,

I am taking a flight from Rotorua to Queenstown on the 15th of August. This flight is scheduled to leave Rotorua at 6.45am and reaches Wellington at 7.55am. It leaves Wellington at 11.35 am and reaches Queenstown at 1.25 pm.

I have the following concerns:

This flight is operated by Air Nelson. The first flight is in a Bombardier aircraft.. Are both the airlines and the aircraft safe?

How are weather conditions likely to be in Rotorua generally during August and do morning flights normally take off o schedule.

I do know that the weather is most unpredictable but a broad pointer would be very helpful.Thanks,

Motherof two

Canada
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rotorua and south island

Is the Bombardier aircraft safe?

It is made in CANADA. Duh.

Rotorua New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,517 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rotorua and south island

The chances of anything going wrong are minimal.It is impossible to guarantee the weather for your flight. I am sure your pilot and the airline responsible will want the flight to arrive safely at the destination. Most flights depart as scheduled and yours should not be an exception. Air Nelson has a respected safety record. Relax and enjoy your flights and your holiday!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
30,938 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rotorua and south island

Central North Island airports such as Rotorua can be affected by early morning fog in winter. Last week there were several airports, including AKL closed for a day or so, but it really is bad luck and not very frequent.

Bangalore
Level Contributor
14 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rotorua and south island

Many thanks ValGee. While we DO know about the major national carriers and airlines, Air Nelson seemed to be a new player and the very reason we have shifted to this flight from the one leaving Rotorua at 11.30 am is because we want to catch Puzzling world at wanaka which allows the last admission at 5.00pm.

Another query I had was about the weather as we are travelling with an elderly person. Is it normally more cold or more windy in NZ. We are coming into Aucland, coming to Rotorua, proceeding to Queenstown, Franz Josef and taking the Tranz Alpine from Greymouth to Christchurch. We fly out of Christchurch back to India.

Any suggestions about winter clothing?

Thanks