We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What time to leave whitianga to catch a flight at Auckland

india
Level Contributor
169 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
What time to leave whitianga to catch a flight at Auckland

I have a 4.20 pm flight to Christchurch from Auckland. I would like to know when should I leave Whitianga so as to reach the airport , return apex car and catch the flight. I intend to stop at Waitamo caves enroute and take a tour.

Caveworld
Caverns & Caves
Orakei Korako Cave & Thermal Park
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Hot Springs & Geysers, Caverns & Caves, Geologic Formations
Ruakuri Cave
Caverns & Caves
Te Anau Glowworm Caves
Caverns & Caves, Bodies of Water
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
215 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: What time to leave whitianga to catch a flight at Auckland

Straight drive allow 3 to 3 and a half hours. Never stopped at Waitomo caves, but seeing as these are NOT on the route between whitianga and Auckland I am at a bit of a loss as to how to advise you. Suggest you consult a map.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,170 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What time to leave whitianga to catch a flight at Auckland

I would ensure that I was in Auckland the night prior to flying to CHC or at the very least leave Whitianga after early breakfast. You will need to allow 30mins for checkin and an hour to retun to your car minimum which means that you would need to get to the airport around 2.00pm for safety. You wont have time to do a cave tour on the same day.

You dont want to have a breakdown or some mishap enroute.

india
Level Contributor
169 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What time to leave whitianga to catch a flight at Auckland

Sorry guys , I messed up the location. I leave from Rotorua via waitoma caves, and not Whitianga as mentioned in my query.

I have calculated a total journey of 4 hours with around 2 hours in Waitoma. The date is 10th May , sunrise is expected around 7.13 am. Would it be possible to start at around 8 am so as to reach the car rental by 2.30 pm. Would there be ice on the roads ?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
36,349 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What time to leave whitianga to catch a flight at Auckland

AA maps gives the journey time as 4:48 so say 5 hours + 2 hr for the cave tour + 1 hour for check-in & 30 min for returning rental car + 1 hr for lunch, fuel stop etc. Total 9:30 hr so you should leave around 7:00 am and aim for the 9:30 or 10 am cave tour.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What time to leave whitianga to catch a flight at Auckland

Hello

To make the day reasonably comfortable and to avoid being under pressure to get to the airport I would advise leaving about 7.00 a.m. You would need to leave Waitomo by midday or half past midday at the latest. This should be fine unless there is a problem on the way - it only takes an accident particularly on the motorway and you could be held up for ages.

india
Level Contributor
169 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What time to leave whitianga to catch a flight at Auckland

Thanks guys , I have rerouted my itenary from Auckland - whitianga - rotorua - Auckland . I am now traveling to rotorua first so that on the last day I will reach Auckland directly from whitianga. This will give me some breathing time.

7. Re: What time to leave whitianga to catch a flight at Auckland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 06:42