We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

School Holiday Help

Colorado
Level Contributor
194 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
School Holiday Help

Hi!

Quick question, because of my job at an airline and the ability to fly standby. I am wondering what would be a better time to come to New Zealand this April..... April 17th- May 4th? ( I know this falls at the end of the School holiday) or waiting to come until April 23rd-May7th??

Does this time of year get very crowded? ( school holiday) should I be concerned either way? Or will I still be able to move around someone easy if I come on the earlier dates? Or should I put it off a week?

Thanks so Much!!!

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
13,915 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: School Holiday Help

Please don't be concerned about April school holidays. The peak holiday season for Kiwi kids is over summer - 7+ weeks! Although some children will be enjoying family-time exploring the countryside, you will still have plenty of room to move around NZ without facing crowds and queues during your visit.

The earlier you arrive , the less chance of colder weather - hopefully! It is autumn at present and each day becomes a little cooler temperature wise, and the days shorter too leading into NZ winter. NZ daylight saving ends this weekend.

United States
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: School Holiday Help

About the only venue where the school holidays might present some annoyance is on the Wellington - Picton ferry.

We were on the ferry during school holidays, there were a million kids running about.

Fortunately, we booked into First Class where the minimum age allowed is 18, very quiet, snacks, bar and comfortable seating, also 2 free Internet stations.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: School Holiday Help

Hi

The school term starts on 23rd April so you would have a week here whilst schools are on holiday if you were to come earlier but this would not be a problem and I would not be at all concerned. On the plus side, in Auckland at least the traffic is noticeably less congested during the school holidays.

I think a more important consideration would be the earlier the better at this time of year i.e. autumn

4. Re: School Holiday Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2013, 10:22